Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by "Jim L." <ji...@pobox.com> on 2013/04/24 01:20:23 UTC

Importing Cloudstack code into Eclipse

According to the page below, there are Eclipse project files included with
the source; apparently that is incorrect.  So is the documentation wrong,
or did somebody forget to include the .project files?

>From http://cloudstack.apache.org/develop/environment.html:

Getting Source

CloudStack uses git for source version control, if you know little about
git, http://book.git-scm.com/ is a good start. Once you have git setup on
your machine, pull source with:

git clone https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/cloudstack.git

Importing Source into Eclipse

Most Apache CloudStack developers use Eclipse as their primary IDE.
CloudStack source code already includes Eclipse .project file in each
project folder, you can import them to your Eclipse workspace by:

   - Creating a new Eclipse workspace, right clicking package explorer and
   selecting *Import*.
   - Selecting *"Existing Projects into Workspace"*.
   - Browsing to the folder with CloudStack source code.
   - Click *Open*, where you will see all Apache CloudStack projects listed
   in the dialog box. Click the *Finish* button. Now you have CloudStack
   registered with Eclipse.

RE: Importing Cloudstack code into Eclipse

Posted by Alex Huang <Al...@citrix.com>.
Hi Jim,

You're following a page that's meant for 4.0 release of CloudStack.  The dev environment has changed significantly since then.  For developers, it's actually much better to look for information in our wiki.  The following page should start you off.  It's much more update to date than the page you're looking at.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Setting+up+CloudStack+Development+Environment

--Alex

Posted by John Burwell <jb...@basho.com>.
Jim,

I use Maven plugin to import the code base.  It will create the
projects including dependencies based on the pom descriptions.

Thanks,
-John