Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com> on 2002/04/16 23:08:47 UTC

New alpha release?

There have been a few fixes since alpha 2, the ones I remember off the
top of my head include:
- fixed delay in db repository
- fixed pop3 dot-stuffing bug
- fixed bounce method to use Return-Path header if there
probably a few other fixes... hopefully people have been updating the
changelog.xml file (hint hint).

I'm almost ready to deploy a patch to better identify temporary delivery
exceptions and clean up the messages a bit (like instead of saying,
"javax.mail.SendFailedException 512 3 I don't likeyou", have the error
message say, "When I tried to deliver to the mail server at
stupid.mailserver.com, it told me: [newline]512 3 I don't likeyou".

Also, I'm going to try to patch the file repository so you can save a
message with the same message name.  I think that's the better fix for
the delivery problems.  If I can't do that easily, I'll apply that patch
that renames the messages when it has to store messages for replies
(which is currently creating the 0-byte problem in the file repository).

So, how about a vote for alpha 3 pending these 2 fixes?
--
Serge Knystautas
http://www.lokitech.com/

Re: Immediate 550 responses to illegal sends

Posted by Harmeet Bedi <ha...@kodemuse.com>.
Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Anthony,

Others have asked for some kind of quick-rejection, but the problem is
the layout you suggested it rather specific to your installation.  I
personally would want local network SMTP to be always accepted as well
as something for a local account, plus whoever authenticated with SMTP
AUTH.  Someone else may just be gatewaying to another server and only
want incoming mail for recipients and doesn't care who the sender is.

I don't believe it's feasible or practical to create predefined blocks
that match various installations, so the front-running idea was to allow
matchers to run during the multiple SMTP stages...after HELO, after MAIL
FROM, after RCPT TO, and after DATA.  If you could add a few matchers in
each spot, we could offer much more customization possibilities for the
James admin.

However, as you can imagine, this quickly becomes complicated and may be
too much for what could be accomplished more simply elsewhere, like
already said for your case, just blocking the remote IP address at the
firewall level is probably the better approach.
--
Serge Knystautas
http://www.lokitech.com/

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.
> On checking how other do this, the recommendation what to respond
> with a "550" message during the SMTP connection to let the sender
> know that their mail is rejected -

James doesn't do this at the moment, but there are plans to make it do it.
You should also be aware that 550 allows spammers to harvest valid addresses
from your server.

d.

RE: Immediate 550 responses to illegal sends

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.
Please don't cross post messages.
We are volunteers, if you don't get a reply it doesn't mean that no-one has
read your message.
Developers hang out on the users list, and I'm sure users lurk on the
developers list.

d.

Re: New alpha release?

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Got all my intended changes done... I have to commit my changes to
changelog.xml, but otherwise everything is in CVS and seems to be
running well.

On the 0-byte problem, I was able to avoid the patch that renamed the
message when storing it back to the mail repository (on the temporary
failures in remote delivery is where it was having problems).  What I
did was make the file repository code smarter so it could see that it
was saving to the same place it was reading.  Then if the message was
not modified, it would not save the stream (it still saves meta-delivery
info as that always worked and needs to get saved).  If the message is
modified, it will go ahead and save it, but that should be fine because
for the message to be modified, it had to have been loaded into memory.
  This allows us to call store(Mail) worry free (at least that's the
goal) rather than coding around repository implementation problems.

Anyway, there are also much better error messages in remote delivery,
it's much better about calling a temporary delivery error a temporary one.

Also, I removed an isClosed() check in my DB pooler-hack that was
causing a HUGE performance hit... the pooler already assumes that
messages in the pool are valid, so this extra check didn't seem worth
the costs.  Eventually I'm still looking to move towards DBCP once they
make a release.

Maybe we might even dare call this new release a beta?.. I think the
current functionality is getting rather stable... it'd be nice to move
to the official releases of Avalon, or maybe go alpha with this release,
and then once the Phoenix part is final we can update to that and
release accordingly.
--
Serge Knystautas
http://www.lokitech.com/

Re: New alpha release?

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Maybe we could write up some JUnit tests for this?  I thought the
MailAddress was already handling escaping, at least as per an older
version of the address spec.  This kind of straight forward testing is a
pretty good place for JUnit, not that I'm suggesting I have time to set
that up. :)
--
Serge Knystautas
http://www.lokitech.com/

RE: New alpha release?

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.
+1

RE: New alpha release?

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.
its been applied, I didn't realise it was in bugzilla.. I'll close it

RE: New alpha release?

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.
sorry I'm wrong, havent. will do.

Re: New alpha release?