Posted to user@pivot.apache.org by Erik Innocent <ei...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/04 00:03:54 UTC

Running Apache Pivot on the Raspberry Pi

First, thanks for your help so far. Chris Bartlett, your previous answer to
my question concerning ShadeDecorator led me to realize that I should be
using Panel instead of StackPane.

So, my new question. I'm trying to run an Apache Pivot app on the Raspberry
Pi, but I'm having trouble. This question might be better suited for the
RPi forums, but I thought I'd start here =) Here is my history so far:

First, I got Raspbian Wheezy running on my RPi (rev. B). Then I installed
the JDK 8 pre-release (ARM, hard-float, non-headless) as described here:

https://wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/OpenJFX/OpenJFX+on+the+Raspberry+Pi

And downloaded from here:

http://jdk8.java.net/download.html

Then I copied the HelloJava tutorial (I renamed it "HelloWorld", put it
into a package, and added a main()) and the Pivot JARs onto my RPi.

Then I ran the class file with the command:

$ ~/java/jdk1.8.0/bin/java -cp
pivot-core-2.0.2.jar:pivot-wtk-2.0.2.jar:pivot-wtk-terra-2.0.2.jar:.
com.einnocenttech.HelloWorld

The first error I got was:

Exception in thread "main" java.awt.HeadlessException:
No X11 DISPLAY variable was set, but this program performed an operation
which requires it.

So I added a DISPLAY environment variable as suggested here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5218870/getting-a-headlessexception-no-x11-display-variable-was-set#comment5870539_5218870

So now I do:

$ echo $DISPLAY
localhost:0.0

And then I try running HelloWorld again, and I get the following error
which I cannot get past:

Exception in thread "main" java.awt.AWTError: Can't connect to X11 window
server using 'localhost:0.0' as the value of the DISPLAY variable.
at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.initDisplay(Native Method)
at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.access$200(X11GraphicsEnvironment.java:65)
at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment$1.run(X11GraphicsEnvironment.java:110)
at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.<clinit>(X11GraphicsEnvironment.java:74)
at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.createGE(GraphicsEnvironment.java:102)
at
java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvironment(GraphicsEnvironment.java:81)
at
org.apache.pivot.wtk.DesktopApplicationContext.main(DesktopApplicationContext.java:492)
at
org.apache.pivot.wtk.DesktopApplicationContext.main(DesktopApplicationContext.java:870)
at com.einnocenttech.HelloWorld.main(HelloWorld.java:21)

I suspect that I either need to start an X server, or have a better DISPLAY
variable. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
--E

Re: Running Apache Pivot on the Raspberry Pi

Posted by Erik Innocent <ei...@gmail.com>.
For development, I'm using a Macbook Pro w/ i7 and 8GB, so it works fine on
here.

I'm not too interested in other Linux minicomputers, for a few reasons. One
is that, where I live, it's hard to get anything other than mainstream
hardware, so if it doesn't work, then I've burned a two weeks and $200 (or
more) on shipping and customs. Another reason is that my clients need
mainstream stuff since they plan on making several units, and if I'm having
problems with something with huge community support like the RPi, what
chance do I have with an issue on some random thing from China? But maybe
the biggest reason I don't want to go with another Linux device is that in
6-12 months, this RPi issue will (hopefully) be gone when they start
packing Wayland with Raspian. Then maybe Pivot will look good on the RPi.
After all, the core issue isn't the hardware -- it's that the software (X,
not Pivot) doesn't take proper advantage of it. So I'd rather use a
placeholder, like an overpowered Windows device, and then try the RPi again
when it's ready.

Cheers, and thanks for your time and interest =)
--E

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Erik,

Posted by Erik Innocent <ei...@gmail.com>.
Hey guys, I just tried my app with PNGs in place of SVGs and with a class
10 SD card in place of the class 4 card I had been using. I also ran the
app from a terminal from within the window manager, as suggested. The app
is still unusably slow =( It did seem slightly faster to me, but not nearly
enough to satisfy my clients. So, I'll be dropping the RPi and going with a
full-on Windows device. When either PivotFX or Wayland on the RPi happens,
I'll try the app again and let you know what happens.

Cheers,
--E

Posted by Erik Innocent <ei...@gmail.com>.
Thank you for your response, Sandro. I've not yet ordered a replacement for
the RPi, so I think I'll try converting SVG to JPG and maybe (if I can get
one) using a faster memory card. That seems like the easiest thing that is
likely to work. (Question: Is rendering of SVG vs. JPG really that much
more demanding?) I'll also try JConsole if I have time. But I think the
real issue is just that the graphics are being handled by the RPi's CPU
instead of the GPU. Raspbmc (a media server app for the RPi), is a good
example of RPi graphics looking snazzy when it's properly configured.

Regarding JavaFX and RPi, check this: "Note that the default configuration
of JavaFX on the Raspberry Pi does not use X11. Instead JavaFX works
directly with the display framebuffer " (
https://wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/OpenJFX/OpenJFX+on+the+Raspberry+Pi)
Indeed, when I ran my Pivot app from command line, with no X server
running, I got an error stating that an X server was not found. But with a
JavaFX demo app, the app appeared on screen. Furthermore, when I started a
JavaFX app over ssh, the output was rendered on the RPI's display, leading
me to conclude that JavaFX does indeed work directly with the framebuffer,
instead of through X.

Regarding Wayland, my understanding is that it is a ground-up replacement
for X, meaning that it should be way faster, but will need apps to be
rewritten to use it. It also seems to take advantage of the RPi's GPU. Of
course, Pivot running through Java 7 needs an X server. Luckily, there's
XWayland, which purports to offer back-compatibility for apps that need X.
I'm guessing Pivot-via-XWayland would be faster that the status quo because
of using the GPU, but slower than slower than, say, a version of Java that
uses Wayland directly, because of the X compatibility layer. (It would also
probably be slower than JavaFX's direct-to-framebuffer approach.) But I
wouldn't know because I couldn't get Wayland running on the RPi =)

So, in answer to your question, I am using an RPi rev. B =D It has 512MB of
RAM. I've got 256 of that dedicated to graphics. I might play with this
number to see what happens. In any case, I'll let you all know how the
progress goes.

Cheers,
--E

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Erik, sorry for the delay ...

Posted by Erik Innocent <ei...@gmail.com>.
I'm not a *nix guru, though I can follow guides and the basic concepts.
With that in mind, the only way I've figured out how to view a Pivot app on
the RPi is to see the graphics output from within the window manager (LXDM,
after calling 'startx'). This means doing startx, then either going to
another tty via, say, ctrl-alt-f2, or opening the run dialog in LXDM via
alt-f2. From there, I call a script that launches the Pivot app. If in tty,
I go back to the window manager via ctrl-alt-f7. My current script, as an
example, can be found here:

https://gist.github.com/einnocent/6207649

So the good news is that Pivot runs on the RPi. The bad news? Things are
unusably slow. I'm doing mostly scaling and placement of SVGs within a
panel, with maybe a dozen labels, so I'm guessing it's not my app doing
anything crazy intensive. (Or am I wrong?) I've a few ideas for speeding
[...]

=)

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Erik,