Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Dimitri Pissarenko <di...@gmx.net> on 2004/02/10 14:57:12 UTC

Excel documentation

Hello!

I want to play around with Excel charts, and am now looking for a
detailed description of the Excel chart format.

Someone on this list suggested reading the "Microsoft Excel
Developer's Kit". I want to order this book, but prior to ordering I
would like to know whether someone knows a more recent documentation
of Excel.

All of the versions of this book available at amazon.de were published
9-10 years ago. Isn't the information contained therein oudated?

TIA

dap

PS: Here are the links to those books at amazon.de.

1994 -
http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/1556156324/qid=1076420885/sr=2-3/ref=sr_aps_prod_3_1/028-0910430-8749322

1995 (not available any more) -
http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/1556158793/qid=1076420885/sr=2-2/ref=sr_aps_prod_2_1/028-0910430-8749322

Re: Excel documentation

Posted by Glen Stampoultzis <gs...@iinet.net.au>.
At 06:15 AM 11/02/2004, you wrote:
> >They still have some of this documentation.
>
>They even have a section on MS Excel charts. But the information in
>this section is IMO not very informative.
>
>At least for me it is too little to start with Excel charts.

Sadly the stuff in the book isn't too detailed either.  It provides
information on the records themselves but very little on how they should be
put together.

Regards,

Glen Stampoultzis
gstamp@iinet.net.au

Re: Excel documentation

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Please do not attempt to use this as I'm not sure of the legals.

The Excel 97 developers kit and open office docs are the only approved
documentation for contributing to HSSF.
--
Andrew C. Oliver

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi
For Java and Excel, Got POI?

The views expressed in this email are those of the author and are almost
definitely not shared by the Apache Software Foundation, its board or its
general membership.  In fact they probably most definitively disagree with
everything espoused in the above email.

Re: Excel documentation

Posted by Dimitri Pissarenko <di...@gmx.net>.

RE: Excel documentation

Posted by Kais Dukes <kd...@kaisdukes.com>.
Hi

Have a look at www.wotsit.org and search for XLS.

They still have some of this documentation.

Best Regards,

Kais

Posted by Dimitri Pissarenko <di...@gmx.net>.
Hi!

Re: Excel documentation

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Microsoft deliberately ceased publication of all materials on their low
level formats after 1997.  This information was also in the MSDN and was
removed.  It is now up to us to help them in keeping it documented!

Re: Excel documentation

Posted by Danny Mui <da...@muibros.com>.