Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ra...@itdz-berlin.de on 2006/02/03 13:39:10 UTC

Valadation of Tomcat config files

Hello again,

still being in my Tomcat infancy I need to edit various Tomcat
config files,
which sadly are all XML and not as tangible to human editing
customs.
How easy can it occur that one forgets a closing tag or mispells
or only uses wrong case for a tag's attribute.
I need and want to edit these files manually since I can't use
GUI tools nor can I connect to a management URI by a rendering
browser.
The best I could use was a bare ascii user agent such as e.g.
lynx.
The issues this could arise are the aforementioned typos.
So I need a tiny (no bloating parser engine) XML validator that
at least can check for well formedness.
As a last resort I could write myself a Perl checker (or get one
somewhere),
but I'm convinced there must be such tools already available for
Tomcat.
Or will Tomcat display verbose error messages if it parsed a
screwed up config file at start up?
Mind you, I couldn't yet establish extended logging because I
still need to set up log4j or similar.

Re: Valadation of Tomcat config files

Posted by Glen Mazza <gr...@verizon.net>.
Ralph.Grothe@itdz-berlin.de wrote:

> I need and want to edit these files manually since I can't use
> GUI tools nor can I connect to a management URI by a rendering
> browser.
> The best I could use was a bare ascii user agent such as e.g.
> lynx.
> The issues this could arise are the aforementioned typos.
> So I need a tiny (no bloating parser engine) XML validator that
> at least can check for well formedness.

JEdit is pretty good in this regard...small and quick editor.  Make sure
you get the XML plugins for validation.

Alternatively, the Eclipse Web Tools Project (WTP 1.0) is *huge* but has
an all-in-one download that includes XML file validation:
http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/index.html

Glen