Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@kiwi.ICS.UCI.EDU> on 1999/12/05 22:56:13 UTC

Re: .tgz MIME type?

>And where is Roy to weigh in on stuff like this when you need him? :-)

Too busy to read mail.

>> > Call it "application/x-tar-gzip" or something.

The answer is "application/gzip".  MIME types are not hierarchical,
for reasons that are particularly lame.  Almost as lame as the reason
there exists an "application/" major type.

....Roy

Re: .tgz MIME type?

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
"Roy T. Fielding" wrote:

> >And where is Roy to weigh in on stuff like this when you need him? :-)
>
> Too busy to read mail.

> The answer is "application/gzip".  MIME types are not hierarchical,
> for reasons that are particularly lame.  Almost as lame as the reason
> there exists an "application/" major type.

But that's the wrong answer. Not that I disagree about the hierarchy
thing, but "gzipped tar" is a type in its own right, IMO.

Cheers,

Ben.

http://www.apache-ssl.org/ben.html

     - Indira Gandhi