Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Liang Chen <ch...@apache.org> on 2016/11/13 15:33:33 UTC

[VOTE] Apache CarbonData 0.2.0-incubating release

Hi all,

PPMC vote for the release Apache CarbonData 0.2.0-incubating has passed.
Now, we kindly submit this release to the IPMC.

Here's the PPMC vote thread for 0.2.0 release:

The source distribution, with signatures is there:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/carbondata/0.2.0-incubating/

The git tag is:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-carbondata.git;a=commit;h=848d3c03b63d2eba4160b25e60c097fc38aeb1e3

Staging Repository:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecarbondata-1006

The artifacts have been signed with this key:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/carbondata/KEYS

The Release Notes is:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12320220&version=12337896

Please vote to approve this release:

[ ] +1 Approve the release
[ ] -1 Don't approve the release (please provide specific comments)

Thanks !
Regards

Re: [VOTE] Apache CarbonData 0.2.0-incubating release

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Agree John: we will add more explicitly the thrift binary installation
requirement in the build instructions.

Thanks !

Regards
JB

Jean-Baptiste Onofr�
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: [VOTE] Apache CarbonData 0.2.0-incubating release

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
JB -

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi John,

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofr�
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [VOTE] Apache CarbonData 0.2.0-incubating release

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.
Excellent. It’s good to know that you are striving to make things easier for users. This will help you build the community.

In my opinion it’s OK if it’s a little harder for people verifying the release; there are fewer people doing this.

Julian

Posted by Liang Chen <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi Julian

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.

[1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201610.mbox/%3CCAPSgeEQGYrkxrL7X7ZCF_BK-6e7LG_wvV_d%2BKcU%3D%2B5niwScm%3DQ%40mail.gmail.com%3E <http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201610.mbox/%3CCAPSgeEQGYrkxrL7X7ZCF_BK-6e7LG_wvV_d+KcU=+5niwScm=Q@mail.gmail.com%3E>

Posted by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Liang Chen <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Liang Chen <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Thanks for your kindly clarifying, Henry.
Sure, we will add BUILD.md file in the next release under the root directory
to improve build instructions.

Regards
Liang

Henry Saputra wrote

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Agree.

I think we can improve the build instructions and the build itself for the next release, but we can move forward on this release.

Regards
JB

\u2063\u200b

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the info, Liang.

Posted by Liang Chen <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi John,Henry

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
I think we need to fix this properly.

I recommend to just commit the generated Java Thrift code to make sure
people could build it without waiting for Maven central push.

- Henry

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
Hi Liang, Ravindran,

From release artifacts it looks good:
Hash files look good
Signature file looks good
Disclaimer file exist
No 3rd party exes in release source artifact
+1

Should probably add in the README to install Thrift to install locally.

- Henry

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1 (binding)

As the build will be fixed after the artifacts on Central and we can still build with thrift installed locally (as in previous releases), I don't think it's a blocker.

Regards
JB

\u2063\u200b

Posted by Liang Chen <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi Henry

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@gmail.com>.
Further..

[INFO] --- maven-thrift-plugin:0.1.11:compile (generate-thrift-java) @
carbondata-format ---
Downloading:
https://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2/com/google/collections/google-collections/0.8/google-collections-0.8.pom
Downloaded:
https://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2/com/google/collections/google-collections/0.8/google-collections-0.8.pom
(3 KB at 57.0 KB/sec)
Downloading:
https://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2/com/google/collections/google-collections/0.8/google-collections-0.8.jar
Downloaded:
https://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2/com/google/collections/google-collections/0.8/google-collections-0.8.jar
(473 KB at 2748.3 KB/sec)
[ERROR] thrift failed output:
[ERROR] thrift failed error: /bin/sh: thrift: command not found

[INFO]
[INFO] Reactor Summary:
[INFO]
[INFO] Apache CarbonData :: Parent ........................ SUCCESS [
 2.495 s]
[INFO] Apache CarbonData :: Common ........................ SUCCESS [
 2.372 s]
[INFO] Apache CarbonData :: Format ........................ FAILURE [
 1.727 s]
[INFO] Apache CarbonData :: Core .......................... SKIPPED
[INFO] Apache CarbonData :: Processing .................... SKIPPED
[INFO] Apache CarbonData :: Hadoop ........................ SKIPPED
[INFO] Apache CarbonData :: Spark ......................... SKIPPED
[INFO] Apache CarbonData :: Assembly ...................... SKIPPED
[INFO] Apache CarbonData :: Examples ...................... SKIPPED
[INFO]
[INFO] BUILD FAILURE
[INFO]
[INFO] Total time: 6.797 s
[INFO] Finished at: 2016-11-13T18:33:18-05:00
[INFO] Final Memory: 38M/457M
[INFO]
[ERROR] Failed to execute goal
org.apache.thrift.tools:maven-thrift-plugin:0.1.11:compile
(generate-thrift-java) on project carbondata-format: thrift did not exit
cleanly. Review output for more information. -> [Help 1]

I'm using a mac... anything required to be installed locally?

I'm inclined to recommend that you re-roll the release to include some
build instructions.

John

Posted by Liang Chen <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by "Gangumalla, Uma" <um...@intel.com>.
Disclaimer exist
LICENSE.txt exist
Signature file fine
Contains incubating

I think Readme.md file can have section about Prerequisites and point to
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CARBONDATA/Building+CarbonData+
And+IDE+Configuration

From Wiki
======================================
If PPMC/IPMC need to verify release before formally publishing, please use
the following command to build.
If user wants to change format module's thrift files, he can use the
following command to build the carbondata-format.
(Note: in the above mentioned build steps carbondata-format is not built
but downloaded from snapshot repository, it will facilitate general users
who don't need to install thrift.)
$ mvn clean -DskipTests -Pbuild-with-format install

I think above note can be added at top in building section. Also its not
only for PPMC and IPMC, This note should be for any user who is trying to
verify release

Other than this

+1

Regards,