Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Michael Harrison <MH...@valutech.com> on 2008/03/24 17:40:09 UTC

Custom HTTPSamplerFactory?

Hello All,

I need help extending JMeter. Basically, my dev group has numerous
automated tests that run along with our build system.  Some are used to
drive selenium tests right now and we want to also use them to drive
JMeter tests in the interest of not violating the DRY principle.  Does
anyone know where I would start on something like this?  Essentially, I
would like to code up the java required to load our configurations and
create the appropriate samplers from them.

I have looked at the JMeter docs on writing custom samplers which seems
easy enough, but it is not clear to me which classes to extend for my
particular problem.  Any help would be appreciated.

Michael Harrison

RE: Custom HTTPSamplerFactory?

Posted by Michael Harrison <MH...@valutech.com>.
Bob,
That's good advice.  However, we aren't going to drive Selenium with
JMeter but instead generate the appropriate JMeter runtime configuration
from Selenium tests (and other sources).  JMeter will do all the work
but this will allow me configure JMeter using other sources like
Selenium.

My only concern is the Selenium has a large number of commands and I am
not sure I am will do the work to translate them all in to JMeter
entries.  Maybe there is a way I can access the Selenium API and use
selenium for some of the commands.

Michael

> I need help extending JMeter. Basically, my dev group has numerous
> automated tests that run along with our build system.  Some are used
> drive selenium tests right now and we want to also use them to drive
> JMeter tests in the interest of not violating the DRY principle.  Does
> anyone know where I would start on something like this?  Essentially,
> would like to code up the java required to load our configurations and
> create the appropriate samplers from them.

We too have a large number of selenium tests. However, if you intend on
using JMeter for load testing, using Selenium as the "driver" of that
load is going to be very resource intensive w/rspt to client machines.

We ended up using the HTTP proxy server and recording the traffic at the
protocol level.

FWIW.
 -Bob

Re: Custom HTTPSamplerFactory?