Posted to dev@atlas.apache.org by Madhan Neethiraj <ma...@apache.org> on 2018/05/09 00:43:39 UTC

Apache Atlas 1.0 release preparation

Atlas team,

We have been busy adding multiple major features and improvements in master branch for months now. And it has been more than 3 months since Apache Atlas 1.0-alpha was released. It is time for GA release of Apache Atlas 1.0!

Here is a short list of major features/updates:

  - support for propagation of classifications along entity relationships – like lineage

  - fine-grained metadata security, which enables access controls up to an entity instance level

  - introduction of Glossary feature

  - introduction of relationships as a first-class type

  - replace use of Titan Graph DB with JanusGraph DB

  - DSL rewrite, to replace use of Scala based implementation with Antlr

  - introduction of V2 style notifications

  - performance improvements in Atlas Hooks, by switching to use V2 style notifications

  - significant updates in Atlas Web UI

  - introduction of Atlas hook for HBase

  - framework for Open Metadata & Governance (tech-preview)

  - support for Cassandra and Elasticsearch (tech-preview)

Here are the details of release activities, along with timelines for each:

  - tentative date for the release will be next Friday, May-18-2018

  - creation of release branch from current master: end of May-10 (PDT)

  - send first release candidate for vote: end of May-12 (PDT)

If you have any updates that needs to be in 1.0 release, please prioritize them to be committed before May-10.

I volunteer to be the release manager for Apache Atlas 1.0 release.

Regards,

Madhan

Re: Apache Atlas 1.0 release preparation

Posted by Nixon Rodrigues <ni...@freestoneinfotech.com>.
Madhan,

Thanks for the heads up for Atlas 1.0 release.

+1 for the release.

Best regards,

Nixon

Posted by Madhan Neethiraj <ma...@apache.org>.
Atlas team,

I wanted to update the team on the status of Apache Atlas 1.0 release. The team has been busy in testing and addressing last few issues. Currently we are waiting for the following issues to be resolved before sending out release candidate for vote:

  ATLAS-2490: Class naming consistency
  ATLAS-2704: Data migration documentation
  ATLAS-2715: audit term-entity association and disassociation events
  ATLAS-2716: Update UI to include term value while saving search
  ATLAS-2717: Data migration import fix

Fixes are likely to be committed by tomorrow, 5/24. And release candidate should be out for vote on 5/25.

Regards,
Madhan