Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by Kristofer Eriksson <Kr...@techmar.de> on 2004/09/27 15:12:45 UTC

Too many open files

Hi all,

I have just deployed a Jetspeed portal app, using velocity for presentation
rendering, and suddenly getting this error:

2004-09-27 10:58:57,714 [http-8080-Processor23] ERROR JetspeedLoggingService
- Error rendering Velocity template: layouts/html/default.vm: Too many open
files

java.io.IOException: Too many open files

          at
org.apache.velocity.runtime.resource.loader.FileResourceLoader.findTemplate(
FileResourceLoader.java:210)

          at
org.apache.velocity.runtime.resource.loader.FileResourceLoader.getResourceSt
ream(FileResourceLoader.java:169)

          at org.apache.velocity.Template.process(Template.java:136)

          at
org.apache.velocity.runtime.resource.ResourceManagerImpl.loadResource(Resour
ceManagerImpl.java:466)

          at
org.apache.velocity.runtime.resource.ResourceManagerImpl.getResource(Resourc
eManagerImpl.java:384)

          at
org.apache.velocity.runtime.RuntimeInstance.getTemplate(RuntimeInstance.java
:814)

          at
org.apache.velocity.runtime.RuntimeSingleton.getTemplate(RuntimeSingleton.ja
va:355)

          at
org.apache.velocity.app.Velocity.mergeTemplate(Velocity.java:482)

          at
org.apache.velocity.app.Velocity.mergeTemplate(Velocity.java:461)

rethrown as

org.apache.turbine.util.TurbineException: Error rendering Velocity template:
layouts/html/default.vm: Too many open files

          at
org.apache.turbine.services.velocity.TurbineVelocityService.renderingError(T
urbineVelocityService.java:533)

          at
org.apache.turbine.services.velocity.TurbineVelocityService.decodeRequest(Tu
rbineVelocityService.java:499)

          at
org.apache.turbine.services.velocity.TurbineVelocityService.handleRequest(Tu
rbineVelocityService.java:336)

          at
org.apache.turbine.services.velocity.TurbineVelocity.handleRequest(TurbineVe
locity.java:143)

etc.

Thought it was an error related to Turbine or Jetspeed first, but I guess it
could have to do with velocity, considering the error msg. Not a very
pleasant error, especially since it started to show in production.

Anyone seen it before? Any information appreciated.

Kind Regards

Kristofer Eriksson

Kristofer Eriksson
IT-Services Consultant

Office: +49-(0)89-89057 110
Mobile: +49-(0)173-907 2977
Fax: +49-(0)89-89057 199
kristofer.eriksson@techmar.com

Re: Too many open files

Posted by Shinobu Kawai <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Kristofer,

> I have just deployed a Jetspeed portal app, using velocity for presentation
> rendering, and suddenly getting this error:
>
> 2004-09-27 10:58:57,714 [http-8080-Processor23] ERROR JetspeedLoggingService
> - Error rendering Velocity template: layouts/html/default.vm: Too many open
> files
>
> java.io.IOException: Too many open files
>
>          at java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method)

> Thought it was an error related to Turbine or Jetspeed first, but I guess it
> could have to do with velocity, considering the error msg. Not a very
> pleasant error, especially since it started to show in production.
Not so much to do with velocity, either.  It's saying that too many
files are open (at once).  Check and see if you have forgotten to
close any files that you opened.  Or, maybe you just need to increase
the limit of open files.

Best regards,
-- Shinobu Kawai

--