Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com> on 2014/12/01 09:46:10 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] LTS Releases

Hi everyone,

Thanks for a great discussion.

I understand it may be difficult to support releases for several years with CloudStack’s fast paced development, and the statistics Leo shared are certainly not what I was aiming for.

I think it will be difficult to gather agreement in this stage and I certainly don’t want to hurt upstream in any way so I think it’s alright to simply keep doing bugfix releases without labelling them with anything on the upstream project.

From ShapeBlue’s standpoint we will keep working on the upstream first and make sure we don’t fork CloudStack though we’ll have our support branches but those will be public too (https://github.com/shapeblue/cloudstack).

We’ll be driving bugfix releases and if those releases are not possible (due to lack of upgrade paths to later/future versions say in 4.4.1, 4.4.2 etc) we’ll keep releasing our patches with suitable release notes publicly via our deb/rpm repositories publicly (shapeblue.com/packages) for everyone.

> On 28-Nov-2014, at 3:17 pm, Leo Simons <LS...@schubergphilis.com> wrote:
>
> Hey hey,
>
> Ooh, interesting topic. I'm going to top-post because I want to focus on the big picture!
>
> * Apache HTTPD provides 8+ years of support for old releases.
> * Tomcat provides 6+ years of support for N-2 release.
> * Ant provides 12+ years of backward compatiblity, so far.
> (details below)
>
> I think this is great and when I was proud of apache it was usually because of stuff like that. Every now and then I get a support enquiry about code that has been in the attic for many many years, and I always take the time to answer it, even if I've almost forgotten about collections pre java 1.2.
>
> This loooong term support happens because the people that work on those projects want it to happen and do the work to make it happen.
>
> Since in this case, you want it to happen, and signed up to do the work, cloudstack its support window (for 4.3) grows. The more people do that, the bigger the support window will get. The 4.3 branch should live as long as people want to work on it and there's enough people to vote to release it. No-one should stop you, and I'd be a little upset if someone tried.
>
> This can happen naturally: it doesn't actually *need* a model or a discussion, just people to do the work and enough people to vote to release that work. You see a need here, you're stepping in to fill that need, so, "thanks for volunteering" (no sarcasm).
>
> I personally believe such explicit support models and commitments can hurt for 'upstreams' (*). If you look at the httpd download page, it doesn't say "we'll support this for 8 years to come", it just says 'download here'. Users are expected and trusted to evaluate whether the community support is enough, and if it isn't, or they can't figure that out, they should go seek a downstream that provides the support (and typically, warranty and guarantee and indemnification and SLA and ...) that you don't get from an open source project.
>
> Ubuntu is a differently shaped project from cloudstack. Ubuntu is a (more unstable...) downstream of debian, where the httpd package is a downstream of httpd.apache.org. The key value of ubuntu LTS is in the tested _aggregation_ of many mutually compatible versions. IMHO.
>
> But hey, agreement is absolutely not required! I applaud you for doing what you think is right for your customers and for talking openly about it here. Customers these days tend to be pretty good at spotting who is listening to what they need, so as long as you understood that correctly, I'm sure it's a sound commercial decision for ShapeBlue too :-D
>

> cheers,
>

> Leo

> [...]

Regards,
Rohit Yadav
Software Architect, ShapeBlue
M. +91 88 262 30892 | rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company incorporated in India and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. Shape Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in Brasil and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue SA Pty Ltd is a company registered by The Republic of South Africa and is traded under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.