Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Valentin Kulichenko <va...@gmail.com> on 2017/12/15 01:54:30 UTC

Partition loss policy - how to use?

Folks,

Since 2.0 we have introduced PartitionLossPolicy which blocks access to
cache if data loss occurred. This is an awesome feature, however it is not
very clear how to use it properly.

First of all, there is no documentation. Ticket already exists though and
hopefully it will be completed soon:

Second of all, looks like there is no required tooling. Visor and Web
Console should be able to show the status (i.e. which partitions are
available and which are not), fire alerts in case of partition loss,
provide an ability to restore partitions via Ignite#resetLostPartitions
method, etc.

And finally (most importantly), I'm a bit confused
by Ignite#resetLostPartitions method itself. What are the best practices
for using it? How a user should decide that partitions are actually
restored and how should he choose when to call this method? For example, if
we have persistence enabled, is it enough to just bring back the nodes or
something else is needed? Actually, why don't we detect this automatically
in this scenario?

I would appreciate any inputs and thoughts on this topic.

-val

Re: Partition loss policy - how to use?

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.
Hi Gaurav,

I'm not sure about that, but it sounds like a right addition anyway.

Alex K., could you chime in please and clarify if the tools somehow support
the loss policies?

--
Denis

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.
The monitoring screen that should show the partition loss metrics is not in
open source. It's a plugin GridGain built on top of the console foundation.

However, we can use it for free via that deployment even for Ignite
clusters: https://console.gridgain.com/

--
Denis

Posted by Gaurav Bajaj <ga...@gmail.com>.
Alexey,

Posted by Alexey Kuznetsov <ak...@apache.org>.
 Gaurav,

Posted by Gaurav Bajaj <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi Denis,

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by gauravhb <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Valentin Kulichenko <va...@gmail.com>.
Couple more questions:
- Is there any way to know which partitions in which caches are currently
unavailable?
- How can I check which nodes failed to trigger the data loss?

The only way I see is to listen for EVT_CACHE_REBALANCE_PART_DATA_LOST
event... Probably we should add something more obvious to the API?

-Val

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.

—

Posted by Alexey Kuznetsov <ak...@apache.org>.