Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Clint Kelly <cl...@gmail.com> on 2014/08/17 21:26:40 UTC

cassandra-stress with clustering columns?

Hi all,

Is there a way to use the cassandra-stress tool with clustering columns?

I am trying to figure out whether an application that I'm running on
is slow because of my application logic, C* data model, or underlying
C* setup (e.g., I need more nodes or to tune some parameters).

My application uses tables with several clustering columns and a
couple of additional indices and it is running quite slowly under a
heavy write load.  I think that the problem is my data model (and
therefore table layout), but I'd like to confirm by replicating the
problem with cassandra-stress.

I don't see any option for using clustering columns or secondary
indices, but I wanted to check before diving into the code and trying
to add this functionality.

Thanks!

Best regards,
Clint

Re: cassandra-stress with clustering columns?

Posted by Clint Kelly <cl...@gmail.com>.
Ah excellent, thanks for clarifying!

Posted by Benedict Elliott Smith <be...@datastax.com>.

Posted by Clint Kelly <cl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benedict Elliott Smith <be...@datastax.com>.

Posted by Clint Kelly <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mikail,

Posted by Mikhail Stepura <mi...@outlook.com>.

Posted by Clint Kelly <cl...@gmail.com>.
FWIW I tried just removing indices from my table and rerunning my
write load test and I got about 2x the performance.  I'm still
interested, however, in seeing whether I can replicate my table layout
in cassandra-stress, just so that I can normalize my results.

Should the presence of clustering columns make a big difference in
write performance?