Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Jeremy Ford <ca...@hotmail.com> on 2002/01/17 00:59:58 UTC

DOMParser never returns

I am working on a project which must retrieve XML data from a cgi program
running on another server.  I am using Xerces 1_5_2 for Windows.  I believe
that the standard distribution uses the WinSock NetAccessor to retrieve data
from a URL.

I am using a URLInputSource with the appropriate URL and passing this to the
parser.  Due to an attempted move of the server and misconfiguration, the
server was still active but the cgi program would not respond.  When running
the program, the DOMParser appeared frozen while waiting for data from the
server, but
due to the problems, no data was ever going to be sent.  We had never seen
this
occur before and are wondering if this is a common occurrence (the parser
waiting infinitely for data from a URL).  Is it possible for the parser to
wait
infinitely on data from a URL?  Is there anything to handle this such as a
timeout?  Obviously, we don't want to wait forever for data that will never
come.  Should the BinHTTPURLInputStream timeout or should this be handled on
our side?  Any information would be appreciated.

Jeremy Ford