Posted to user@pig.apache.org by Eli Finkelshteyn <ie...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/16 17:04:21 UTC

JOIN fails with Index Out Of Bounds Error

Hi,
When doing an inner join on a column where some values are NULL, I get
the following error:

I can fix this by simply filtering out the NULL values in a separate
step before joining, but the current behavior doesn't sound right to me,
so I wanted to ask here before I do that. What's happening now sounds a
lot like this:
That bug was fixed on PIG 0.7, and I'm using PIG 0.8.1, so I'm trying to
decide whether I should reopen it, or whether this is something else. Ideas?

Eli

Re: JOIN fails with Index Out Of Bounds Error

Posted by Raghu Angadi <an...@gmail.com>.
Your script or a simple script that shows the problem would help.

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 7:29 AM, Eli Finkelshteyn <el...@tumblr.com> wrote:

> Nope, just a simple inner join.
>

> On 9/19/11 7:48 PM, Raghu Angadi wrote:
>
>> Do you have a FLATTEN() involved? FLATTEN(null) can cause IndexOutOfBounds
>> exception. ( if that is the case,  see
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/**user@pig.apache.org/msg02275.**html<http://www.mail-archive.com/user@pig.apache.org/msg02275.html>)
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 8:04 AM, Eli Finkelshteyn<ie...@gmail.com>
>> >wrote:
>>
>>  Hi,
>>> When doing an inner join on a column where some values are NULL, I get
>>> the
>>> following error:
>>> java.lang.****IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index: 1, Size: 1
>>>
>>> I can fix this by simply filtering out the NULL values in a separate step
>>> before joining, but the current behavior doesn't sound right to me, so I
>>> wanted to ask here before I do that. What's happening now sounds a lot
>>> like
>>> this:

Posted by Eli Finkelshteyn <el...@tumblr.com>.

Posted by Raghu Angadi <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thejas Nair <th...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Eli,
Can you please open a new jira as the root cause might be something
different ?
Can you add instructions on how to reproduce the issue ? You can link
this jira to the PIG-1131.

Thanks,
Thejas