Posted to yarn-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Wangda Tan <wh...@gmail.com> on 2016/02/25 02:10:46 UTC

[VOTE] Merge YARN-3368 to trunk

YARN Devs,

We propose to merge YARN-3368 (YARN next generation UI) development branch
into trunk. The reason to do the merge is web UI of Timeline server v2
(YARN-2928) is depending on the framework, and YARN-2928 is planned to
merge back to trunk shortly.

Status of YARN-3368:
Now it is runnable from end-to-end, which includes:
* Scheduler page, which contains a select-able queue hierarchy view and
also related scheduler information.
* Apps table, app page, app-attempt page and also timeline view of
app-attempts/containers.
* Cluster overview page, which contains several charts to show overview of
the cluster (such as total memory, total apps, etc.)

We plan to continue develop this feature after merge back to trunk, please
refer to sub tasks of YARN-3368.

Since YARN-3368 hasn't integrated to neither Hadoop's maven build system
nor RM web service, so the merge is completely safe. Ticket for the merge
task is: YARN-4734.

The vote will run for 7 days, ending Wednesday, Mar 2. Please feel free to
comment if you have any questions/doubts. I'll start with my +1 (binding).

Thanks,
Wangda

Re: [VOTE] Merge YARN-3368 to trunk

Posted by Li Lu <ll...@hortonworks.com>.
+1 (binding)

Thanks Wangda for proposing this. Right now YARN-2928’s proposed UI work is heavily based on YARN-3368. Merging back YARN-3368 to trunk will unblock the future progress of the next gen ATS work.

Meanwhile, the code used in YARN-3368 is completely separated with our existing YARN UIs (the new UI uses ember.js and works with YARN’s REST APIs). This means the new UI can land in trunk as an alpha and safely co-exist with the stable UI. We may potentially attract more contributors to actively working on the new UI after the merge.

Li Lu

Posted by Wangda Tan <wh...@gmail.com>.
I want to restart merge vote:

Updates: addressed comments from @aw/@chris, fixed:

*Licenses:*
- ASF licenses issues
- Licenses for dependencies (Added to top level LICENSE.txt). There’s
nothing new to add to NOTICE.txt

*Building:*
- Integrated yarn-ui building to Maven. Instead of build it by default, I
placed it under a separate profile (-Pyarn-ui), only people who have
interests for this in-development feature can build/try it.
- Dockerfile support for dependencies

*Documentations:*
- Modified BUILDING.txt includes how to build yarn-ui
- Moved tutorial doc to
site: hadoop-yarn-project/hadoop-yarn/hadoop-yarn-site/src/site/markdown/YarnUI2.md

*Other changes:*
- Removed Unnecessary dot files, including all .gitkeepers
- .gitignore is move to top dir
- Cleaned up all hard-coded fields for service addresses, such as
rm-address / ATS-address, etc. (YARN-4514)

Merge JIRA for Jenkins is:
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/YARN-4734>

Latest Jenkins gets back with +1
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/YARN-4734?focusedCommentId=15248772&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-15248772.
(Unit tests failure are not related).

(Again :D), the vote will run for 7 days, ending Wednesday, Apr 27. Please
feel free to comment if you have any questions/doubts. I'll start with my
+1 (binding).

+ Chris/Allen

Thanks,
Wangda

Posted by Wangda Tan <wh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chris,

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@altiscale.com>.

Posted by Chris Douglas <cd...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 8:10 AM, Allen Wittenauer <aw...@altiscale.com> wrote:
> -1 (non-binding)

Your -1 is binding, per the bylaws. If you intend it only in protest,
-0 is typical.

Wangda, the YARN-1197 merge was pretty aggressive. It might be worth
raising a [DISCUSS] thread first, to leave time to address feedback.
-C

Re: [VOTE] Merge YARN-3368 to trunk

Posted by Wangda Tan <wh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Allen,

Thanks for commenting,

I will update patch and keep this thread updated.

Wangda

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@altiscale.com>.