Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Indra Pramana <in...@sg.or.id> on 2013/07/20 09:18:12 UTC

CloudStack performance issue

Dear all,

On my test-lab environment, I encountered some cases of CloudStack
performance issue where creation or deleting VMs will become very slow.
This normally happens when I tried to do two or three simultaneous tasks at
the same time. I would need to wait 10-15 minutes just for a VM to be
created, started, stopped or destroyed.

Sometimes, certain tasks will not be completed at all and I need to reboot
the CloudStack management server for the tasks to complete. Some tasks
might fail, but will be OK when I try to attempt again. Sometimes, it will
cause the KVM hypervisor host to be in "discrd onnected" state and I have
to reboot the host.

Where can I start troubleshooting, which logs I need to go through to find
out the bottleneck? The management-server.log file doesn't show much
anything about the delay. It seems that there is some "locking" mechanism
and certain processes will need other processes to complete before they can
start. This is worrying since in a production environment, many customers
might want to try creating VMs at the same time simultaneously.

Any thoughts or feedback on this matter is appreciated.

Looking forward to your reply, thank you.

Cheers.

Re: CloudStack performance issue

Posted by Indra Pramana <in...@sg.or.id>.
Hi David,

Good day to you, and thank you for your e-mail.

Most of my templates are on 100 GB root disk, which I understand is too
big. I plan to recreate the templates on a 10 GB disk, which should be
sufficient based on an advice from another member of this mailing list on
another thread.

Do you think that might be the cause? I hope that deployment time will be
much faster after I recreated the templates.

Thank you.

Posted by David Ortiz <dp...@outlook.com>.
Indra,

Posted by Indra Pramana <in...@sg.or.id>.