Posted to diversity@apache.org by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> on 2019/04/03 11:57:24 UTC

Re: {Action by April 5] Vote on best time for the D&I committee discussion call

Consider the effort along the lines of development... all development
needs to be done on list.

I think (I could be wrong) Sam's suggestion regarding a call
was to discuss options on the effort (eg: president's cmmt, etc...)
and not about the actual "details" of the ins and outs.

Discussing the proposal details of the effort should definitely be done
on list. Yes, a call may help things happen more "quickly" but that
should not be the prime or main consideration... we baseline
mailing lists for all development (and, as I said, this *is* development)
for a very clear reason. The idea of working out details regarding
Diversity and *Inclusion* using a method that for sure *excludes*
people is irony writ large.

CCing diversity@ so the thread can move there.

Posted by Gris Cuevas <gr...@apache.org>.

On 2019/04/03 13:28:08, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:
> [moving comdev back to bcc]
>
> On Wed, Apr 3, 2019 at 9:06 AM Jim Jagielski <ji...@jagunet.com> wrote:

> > > Not all committees operate along the lines of development.
> > > Independent of that, we often complement lists with calls, meetups,
> > > hackathons, etc.
> > >
> > > To the extent that this group does produce tangible products, the
> > > development of those products do need to follow the norms of the ASF;
> > > development may happen on or off list, but needs to be brought back to
> > > the list, and everybody given an opportunity to participate.
> > >

> > Umm a "call/videocall to discuss the proposal details to the board."
> > certainly sounds like a "tangible product" to me.
> >
> > You are free to disagree. I think doing so would be a mistake.
>
> As I said, this has evolved in ways differently than I would have
> expected.  My email to Griselda, copying Ross was as follows:
>
> >> Perhaps we should "meet" via call/video to discuss next steps?  I'm
> >> concerned with all the various ways this organization has to discourage
> >> such efforts that it will eventually stall.
> >>
> >> I'm on the east coast, and have plenty of afternoon (my time) slots
> >> available tomorrow (Wednesday) and Thursday.  I'm not available Friday.
> >> If that doesn't work out, we can shoot for next week.
>
> - Sam Ruby

Hi Everyone,

I took a couple of days to analyze how to move this forward, and I decided to cancel the call. The main reason is that we need to create some value and have something concrete to discuss with the people interested in joining forces - I don't want to waste people's time. Additionally, I want to make sure we only have synchronous discussions when needed and with a clear purpose.

I'll cancel the call by the end of the weekend.

@Sam, I'd like to still connect and get your guidance and advice, I want to understand what you had in mind and the benefits from pursuing different options with this effort. I want to clarify that this is not a call for a private meeting, it's a request for mentorship on how to lead this.

In the meantime, I've started adding issues to the board, if you're reading this hoping to know how to get involved, please start monitoring issues and putting your name in them.

Happy Friday on this side of the world.

Re: {Action by April 5] Vote on best time for the D&I committee discussion call

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
[moving comdev back to bcc]

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
[moving comdev back to bcc]

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Wed, Apr 3, 2019 at 7:57 AM Jim Jagielski <ji...@jagunet.com> wrote:

> Consider the effort along the lines of development... all development
> needs to be done on list.

Not all committees operate along the lines of development.
Independent of that, we often complement lists with calls, meetups,
hackathons, etc.

To the extent that this group does produce tangible products, the
development of those products do need to follow the norms of the ASF;
development may happen on or off list, but needs to be brought back to
the list, and everybody given an opportunity to participate.

> I think (I could be wrong) Sam's suggestion regarding a call
> was to discuss options on the effort (eg: president's cmmt, etc...)
> and not about the actual "details" of the ins and outs.

Close, but this has rapidly evolved in a different direction from what
I originally requested.  A president's committee is one of the options
being explored, and such would have a VP, and wanted an opportunity to
discuss this with Griselda (schedule permitting, including Ross).  Not
to plot any diabolical schemes, but to set expectations and to make
myself available for questions.  Should others be interested, I'd do
the same with them.

If there is interest in an initial call, or even a regular call (and
yes, some committees do that too), we should allow such to happen, as
long as the relevant portions of the meeting relating to development
efforts is brought back to the list.

> Discussing the proposal details of the effort should definitely be done
> on list. Yes, a call may help things happen more "quickly" but that
> should not be the prime or main consideration... we baseline
> mailing lists for all development (and, as I said, this *is* development)
> for a very clear reason. The idea of working out details regarding
> Diversity and *Inclusion* using a method that for sure *excludes*
> people is irony writ large.

Again, while there are part of this effort which undoubtedly will be
development, other parts may not be.  Meetings with people from other
organizations in similar efforts will likely occur.  Down the road,
there may be vendor selection activities.

> CCing diversity@ so the thread can move there.

Thanks!  I've moved comdev to bcc.

- Sam Ruby

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.
Please, everyone, be generous in interpreting messages, and avoid
escalation.

Posted by Naomi Slater <no...@tumbolia.org>.

Posted by Naomi Slater <no...@tumbolia.org>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Naomi Slater <no...@tumbolia.org>.
On Wed, 3 Apr 2019 at 15:03, Jim Jagielski <ji...@jagunet.com> wrote:

> Personally, I think the right course would be to take the advice
> that having a call when not specifically required to heart and to,
> instead, do all discussion, agenda setting, etc on the diversity@
> list and drop the idea of having a call at all.

> I personally can't see any over-riding and encompassing rationale
> for driving thru a concall. It sets a bad precedent.

there is nothing wrong with phone calls. and indeed, if there are people
who want to have them, I think it should be encouraged

Posted by Naomi Slater <no...@tumbolia.org>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
My last words on the subject:

> On Apr 3, 2019, at 8:46 AM, Griselda Cuevas <gr...@google.com.INVALID> wrote:
>
> It seems that the right course of action would be to prepare an agenda,
> distribute it in the diversity@apache.org list and gather input from folks
> who can't join.

Personally, I think the right course would be to take the advice
that having a call when not specifically required to heart and to,
instead, do all discussion, agenda setting, etc on the diversity@
list and drop the idea of having a call at all.

I personally can't see any over-riding and encompassing rationale
for driving thru a concall. It sets a bad precedent.

Again, all IMO.

Re: {Action by April 5] Vote on best time for the D&I committee discussion call

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
My last words on the subject:

Posted by Griselda Cuevas <gr...@google.com.INVALID>.
Thanks everyone, as I mentioned before my experience in the Apache Way
continues to grow, so I appreciate everyone's input and guidance, this felt
very much like a good mentorship process.

It all makes sense and I want to do this the right way.

It seems that the right course of action would be to prepare an agenda,
distribute it in the diversity@apache.org list and gather input from folks
who can't join. Then I will record or take notes of the call and distribute
back to the list, I'll open votings for any critical decision that needs to
be made and continue work on the mailing list.

@Jim, I think you are right, I might have misinterpreted Sam, so I'll let
him clarify the purpose of the synch before setting the agenda.

Posted by Griselda Cuevas <gr...@google.com.INVALID>.