Posted to solr-dev@lucene.apache.org by Mike Austin <ma...@gmail.com> on 2007/05/16 23:28:46 UTC

PriceJunkie.com using solr!

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the creation of solr.  I've been
using it for a while now and I have recently brought one of my side projects
online.  I have several other projects that will be using solr for it's
search and facets.

Please check out www.pricejunkie.com and let us know what you think.. You
can give feedback and/or sign up on the mailing list for future updates.
The site is very basic right now and many new and useful features plus
merchants and product categories will be coming soon!  I thought it would be
a good idea to at least have a few people use it to get some feedback early
and often.

Some of the nice things behind the scenes that we did with solr:
- created custom request handlers that have category to facet to attribute
caching built in
- category to facet management
	- ability to manage facet groups (attributes within a set facet) and assign
them to categories
	- ability to create any category structure and share facet groups

- facet inheritance for any category (a facet group can be defined on a
parent category and pushed down to all children)
- ability to create sub-categories as facets instead of normal sub
categories
- simple xml configuration for the final outputted category configuration
file

I'm sure there are more cool things but that is all for now.  Join the
mailing list to see more improvements in the future.

Also.. how do I get added to the Using Solr wiki page?

Thanks,
Mike Austin

Re: PriceJunkie.com using solr!

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: Also.. how do I get added to the Using Solr wiki page?

Anyone can update the wiki, just click the Login link and create an
account -- the edit controls will start showing up.

-Hoss

Re: PriceJunkie.com using solr!

Posted by Matthew Runo <mr...@zappos.com>.
Wow.

Those sound like some really great features, ones that I'd also love
to use!

What do we need to do to convince you to put them in the SOLR repo?

Posted by Martin Grotzke <ma...@javakaffee.de>.

--
Martin Grotzke
http://www.javakaffee.de/blog/

Re: PriceJunkie.com using solr!

Posted by James liu <li...@gmail.com>.
aha,,,,it is wonderful.

--
regards
jl

RE: PriceJunkie.com using solr!

Posted by Mike Austin <ma...@gmail.com>.
Just one.

--
regards
jl

Re: PriceJunkie.com using solr!

Posted by James liu <li...@gmail.com>.
how many solr instance?

--
regards
jl

Re: PriceJunkie.com using solr!

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.
Congrats, very nice job!

Posted by Mike Austin <ma...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Tim.  Yes, the results are transformed with xslt in the .net page
after getting the response xml back from the handler.  So, SOLR is called
via http from the very light .net page.  Besides the transform, SOLR does
all of the work with the help of some of my custom classes that utilizes a
generated xml config file that has category to facet to query item type
mappings.

Posted by Tim Archambault <jo...@gmail.com>.