Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Christopher <ct...@apache.org> on 2016/08/05 22:44:18 UTC

SVN dist question

IPMC,

Can anybody clarify the right location for releases and release candidates
in dist.apache.org while in incubator?

A: For release candidates, would it be:
  A1: https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/fluo
or
  A2: https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/fluo
?

B: For releases, is it:
  B1: https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/fluo
or
  B2: https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/fluo
?

If the answer for question B is B1, then would releases move to B2 upon
graduation? Or stay in B1 until the first non-incubating release?

I *think* the right answer for A is "doesn't matter", and the right answer
for B is B2, but if that's the case, I'm not sure why /release/incubator
exists.

Thanks for any clarification.

Re: SVN dist question

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
Thank you. Very helpful.

Re: SVN dist question

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.
Yes, that's correct.

Re: SVN dist question

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Re: SVN dist question

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.
It’s A1 and B1. By the time you graduate, the old releases will have moved to archive.apache.org/repos/dist/incubator/fluo <http://archive.apache.org/repos/dist/incubator/fluo>, but same problem. Incubator releases are not “proper" Apache releases, do not necessarily meet the high standard expected of Apache releases, so it’s appropriate that they are forever labeled as not-quite-pristine.

For a concrete example, see http://calcite.apache.org/downloads/ <http://calcite.apache.org/downloads/> and mouse over the ‘tar’ links.

Julian