Posted to dev@chemistry.apache.org by Vyacheslav Pascarel <vp...@opentext.com> on 2016/10/20 18:35:07 UTC

"null" values for multi-value properties and CMIS specs

Hi Everyone,

A have a general question regarding CMIS specs. CMIS 1.1 says:

-------------------------
A property, either single-valued or multi-valued, MAY be in a "not set" state. CMIS does not support "null" property value. If a multi-valued property is not in a "not set" state, its property value MUST be a non-empty list of individual values. Each individual value in the list MUST NOT be in a "not set" state and MUST conform to the property's property-type.
A multi-valued property is either set or not set in its entirety. An individual value of a multi-valued property MUST NOT be in an individual "value not set" state and hold a position in the list of values. An empty list of values MUST NOT be allowed.
-------------------------

Does anybody know what is the reason behind not allowing individual values to be in "value not set" state for multi-valued property? Is there any way to work around that limitation (beside "reserved" values or extensions)?

Regards,

Vyacheslav Pascarel

RE: "null" values for multi-value properties and CMIS specs

Posted by Vyacheslav Pascarel <vp...@opentext.com>.
Hi Florian,

Thank you for clarification.

Vyacheslav Pascarel

If I recall correctly, most vendors involved in the specification had trouble distinguishing null strings from empty strings. That's why null values are not supported.
 From a protocol and OpenCMIS low-level API point of view you can send null values, but that would be outside the CMIS specification.

- Florian

Posted by Florian Müller <fm...@apache.org>.
Hi Vyacheslav,

If I recall correctly, most vendors involved in the specification had
trouble distinguishing null strings from empty strings. That's why null
values are not supported.
 From a protocol and OpenCMIS low-level API point of view you can send
null values, but that would be outside the CMIS specification.

- Florian