Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Eleanor Lawrie <el...@gmail.com> on 2014/08/15 20:04:33 UTC

Word program crashed

I have had trouble lately opening documents. This morning it was suddenly
impossible. Finally a screen told me the program (I guess the whole Open
Office although I only use the word part) had crashed and by restarting my
computer it would right itself.

However, before that message about the crash came up I followed a
troubleshooting directive and when it finished it asked me to say OK to
something it changed.

Now when I try to open a document it says Error, this operation needs
elevation.

Also, when I try to open Open Office from my desktop shortcut, a window
asked if I would allow this unknown source to make changes, and when I
click Yes, nothing happens, it just goes away.  I assumed this was part of
the self-recovery.

Is there a way to recover my word program without taking the computer to a
repair person?

Thanks,
Eleanor Lawrie

Re: Word program crashed

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <Ma...@Groenescheij.COM>.
If the auto-recovery isn't successful than you can check the backup
directory.
A backup file depends on your settings under Tools --> Options --> Load/save
The directory is under Tools --> Options --> OpenOffice --> Paths

As you are not subscribed to this mailing list you will not see all answers.

Re: Word program crashed

Posted by johnny smith <ka...@krovatka.su>.
On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 18:04:33 -0000, Eleanor Lawrie <el...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have had trouble lately opening documents. This morning it was suddenly
> impossible. Finally a screen told me the program (I guess the whole Open
> Office although I only use the word part) had crashed and by restarting my
> computer it would right itself.
>
> However, before that message about the crash came up I followed a
> troubleshooting directive and when it finished it asked me to say OK to
> something it changed.
>
> Now when I try to open a document it says Error, this operation needs
> elevation.

this link may be of use:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/the-requested-operation-requires-elevation/4d45a50e-2e5d-49f7-950c-e6281057491f