Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com> on 2017/02/10 16:47:06 UTC

Request for comments: Java 7 removal

As you have seen, there's a WIP PR to implement removal of Java 7 support:
https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/16871

I have heard several +1s at
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-19493 but am asking for
concerns too, now that there's a concrete change to review.

If this goes in for 2.2 it can be followed by more extensive update of the
Java code to take advantage of Java 8; this is more or less the baseline
change.

We also just removed Hadoop 2.5 support. I know there was talk about
removing Python 2.6. I have no opinion on that myself, but, might be time
to revive that conversation too.

Re: Request for comments: Java 7 removal

Posted by Yuming Wang <wg...@gmail.com>.
There is a way only Spark use Java 8, Hadoop still use Java 7:
spark-conf.jpg
(58K)
<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=a9af0e7eb1&view=att&th=15a3f68a367de778&attid=0.1&disp=safe&realattid=f_iz6aduk80&zw>

By the way, I have a way to install any spark version on CM5.4 - CM5.7 by
custom CSD <https://github.com/wangyum/cm_csds/tree/master/SPARK> and
custom Spark parcel <https://github.com/wangyum/spark-parcel>.

Posted by Koert Kuipers <ko...@tresata.com>.

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.
Yes, that's a key concern about the Java dependency, that its update is a
function of the OS packages and those who control them, which is often not
the end user. I think that's why this has been delayed a while. My general
position is that, of course, someone in that boat can use Spark 2.1.x. It's
likely going to see maintenance releases through the end of the year, even.
On the flip side, no (non-paid) support has been available for Java 7 for a
while. It wouldn't surprise me if some people are yet still stuck on Java
7; it would surprise me if they expect to use the latest of any package at
this stage. Taking your CDH example, yes it's been a couple years since
people have been able to deploy it on Java 8. Spark 2 isn't supported
before 5.7 anyway. The default is Java 8.

Scala 2.10 is a good point that we are dealing with now. It's not really a
question of whether it will run -- it's all libraries and bytecode to the
JVM and it will happily deal with a mix of 7 and 8 bytecode. It's a
question of whether the build for 2.10 will succeed. I believe it's 'yes'
but am following up on some tests there.

Posted by Charles Allen <ch...@metamarkets.com>.

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.
As usual I think maintenance release branches are created ad-hoc when there
seems to be some demand. I personally would guess there will be at least
one more 2.0.x and 2.1.x maintenance release. In that sense, yeah it's not
really even the end of actively supporting a Java 7-compatible release.

Posted by Denis Bolshakov <bo...@gmail.com>.
Hello Sean,

Thanks for asking.

From my point of view it Ok to remove Java 7 support  from Spark since 2.2