Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Giles Sirett <gi...@shapeblue.com> on 2015/12/10 12:06:01 UTC

cloudstack UI through accelerator/cache/proxy

I’m trying to get a basic understanding on how much  the performance of the ACS UI would improve if it was run through some form of accelerator/reverse proxy/cache (i.e. something like a netscaler)

Scenario is a management server that is a long way (physically)  from the users, therefore latency is causing UI delays. Idea would be to put an accelerator close to the users so it can cache the static pieces of the ACS UI

We will be doing some testing on this, but wanted to know from the outset  if anybody has a gut feel for how well the ACS UI may behave when run through a setup like this

Kind Regards
Giles

Giles Sirett
CEO

[cid:image003.png@01D104EF.CE276C40]

giles.sirett@shapeblue.com<ma...@shapeblue.com> | www.shapeblue.com<http://www.shapeblue.com/> | Twitter:@shapeBlue<https://twitter.com/#!/shapeblue>

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company incorporated in India and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. Shape Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in Brasil and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue SA Pty Ltd is a company registered by The Republic of South Africa and is traded under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.

RE: cloudstack UI through accelerator/cache/proxy

Posted by Giles Sirett <gi...@shapeblue.com>.
Guys

Thanks for your opinions - really useful
We're going to put this through the lab at some point soon - will share results when we have

Kind Regards
Giles

[ShapeBlue]<http://www.shapeblue.com>
Giles Sirett
CEO     ,       ShapeBlue

d:      +44 203 603 0540 | s: +44  20 3603 0541<tel:+44%20203%20603%200540%20|%20s:%20+44%20%2020%203603%200541>         |      m:      +44 7961112055<tel:+44%207961112055>

e:      giles.sirett@shapeblue.com | t: <mailto:giles.sirett@shapeblue.com%20|%20t:>     |      w:      www.shapeblue.com<http://www.shapeblue.com>

a:      53 Chandos Place, Covent Garden London WC2N 4HS UK

[cid:image7ac8e3.png@fa345783.4aa2e35d]

Posted by Tim Mackey <tm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
Hi,

Posted by Timothy Lothering <tl...@datacentrix.co.za>.
Hi Giles,

We use Netscaler to accelerate ACS, albeit only static content as Erik mentioned. It is only really beneficial with multiple ACS Management Servers (and ours are 1 hop away @ 2Gbps). And to re-iterate what Erik said, the browser will cache most of the content.

Kind Regards,

Timothy Lothering
Timothy Lothering
Solutions Architect
Managed Services

T: +27877415535
F: +27877415100
C: +27824904099
E: tlothering@datacentrix.co.za

DISCLAIMER NOTICE:

Everything in this e-mail and any attachments relating to the official business of Datacentrix Holdings Ltd. and its subsidiaries
('Datacentrix') is proprietary to Datacentrix. It is confidential, legally privileged and protected by law. Datacentrix does not
own and endorse any other content. Views and opinions are those of the sender unless clearly stated as being that of Datacentrix.
The person addressed in the e-mail is the sole authorised recipient. Please notify the sender immediately if it has unintentionally
reached you and do not read, disclose or use the content in any way. Datacentrix cannot assure that the integrity of this communication
has been maintained nor that it is free of errors, virus, interception or interference.
The only thing you could cache as far as I can see is static content (js, css, pictures) and list calls.

Anything that triggers an action has to reach the mgmt server and cannot be cached.
When caching list calls you have to either have a really short lifespan, or a proper method of invalidating the content on changes.

As for caching static content I am not sure if it really is worth it, it is only loaded on the first page load, and with recent ACS versions it should be cached by your browser as well.
I guess that theoretically you could build a custom version of the client-web that reference static content from another server (
static.customer.com) and ensure through DNS that users use a mirror close by.

--
Erik

Posted by Erik Weber <te...@gmail.com>.