Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Anil <sa...@gmail.com> on 2005/04/08 02:34:11 UTC

Meta Information in Action Form

Hi All,

Is it good approach to keep the meta information in action form ?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Anil.

Re: Meta Information in Action Form

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.
Matt's general approach is the one we use also, except instead of
ServletListeners and the database, we use the DigestingPlugIn, which
produces objects based on XML and can put them in the application
context.  There's an example in the mailreader app which you should
be able to just about cut-and-paste, with the exception of changing
the XML which represents your menu items.

Joe

--
Joe Germuska
Joe@Germuska.com

Re: Meta Information in Action Form

Posted by Matt Raible <li...@raibledesigns.com>.
On Apr 8, 2005, at 2:12 PM, Anil wrote:

> Matt Raible <lists <at> raibledesigns.com> writes:
>

>> As far as drop-downs, I typically populate all (or most) of mine from
>> database at application startup using a ServletListener.  I stuff
>> these
>> into the application scope as Lists of LabelValue beans.  Then I code
>> up a ReloadAction that can call my Listener to reload them all.  I've
>> found this useful so I don't have to restart the app if data changes.
>>
>> Matt
>

>> If I have edit screens for the drop-downs, I'll replace the List in
>> application scope after saving.
>
> If the application scope has been used to store the drop-down values,
> how will
> you handle the updates on data in application scope in clustered
> environment?
> Is there any way to get rid of the problem?

I tend to do this mostly for drop-downs that are pretty much static,
but might change once a week/month.  I'm probably over-engineering in
most cases - but once the infrastructure is setup, it's easy to do.  In
a clustered environment, I'd probably keep the same solution and take
the hit on application startup.  Otherwise, you could do request-scoped
lists when you load your forms - or use something like XmlHttpRequest
(the DWR project is nice - http://drw.dev.java.net) to populate
drop-downs when your pages loads.  Spring MVC is pretty slick in that
their form controllers have a "referenceData()" method that's
specifically designed to populate drop-downs and such.

Matt

Re: Meta Information in Action Form

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@gmail.com>.
On Apr 8, 2005 1:12 PM, Anil <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Matt Raible <lists <at> raibledesigns.com> writes:
>

> > As far as drop-downs, I typically populate all (or most) of mine from a
> > database at application startup using a ServletListener.  I stuff these
> > into the application scope as Lists of LabelValue beans.  Then I code
> > up a ReloadAction that can call my Listener to reload them all.  I've
> > found this useful so I don't have to restart the app if data changes.
> >
> > Matt
>

> > If I have edit screens for the drop-downs, I'll replace the List in
> > application scope after saving.
>
> If the application scope has been used to store the drop-down values, how will
> you handle the updates on data in application scope in clustered environment?
> Is there any way to get rid of the problem?

One option would be to add an administrative action in your URL that
calls the code to reinitialze the application scoped lists (i.e. the
same code called by your context listener or init method to load them
in the first place)?  That way, you can set up a button or something
that triggers reloading whenever someone knows that it is necessary.

An alternative strategy I've used in the past is to have a single
application scope bean that exposes each of the lists as a read-only
property.  The getter for that list, then, could do something (such as
a cheap database read to get a last modified timestamp or something)
to see if it needs to refresh the list before returning it.  That way,
the user of the list never has to worry about reloading.

> Anil.

Craig

Re: Meta Information in Action Form

Posted by Anil <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@gmail.com>.
On Apr 8, 2005 12:15 PM, Matt Raible <li...@raibledesigns.com> wrote:

> On Apr 8, 2005, at 1:00 PM, Christine Huang wrote:
>
> > On Apr 8, 2005 1:40 PM, Craig McClanahan <cr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> The servlet container is *not* required to leave your load-on-startup
> >> servlet loaded for the entire duration of the webapp's lifetime
> >> (although, in practice, most containers do).  For example, the
> >> container could unload a servlet that it sees isn't being used, or if
> >> it has memory contention issues, or for whatever reason is desired.
> >>
> >> Of course, if you're talking about ActionServlet, it will get reloaded
> >> again on the next request, but that will cause your init() method to
> >> run again -- wasting a whole bunch of time in many cases.
> >>
> >> A ServletContextListener, on the other hand, guarantees that
> >> contextInitialized() will get called at startup time (before any
> >> requests have been processed), and contextDestroyed() will get called
> >> at shutdown time (after the last request), no matter what happens in
> >> between.
> >>
> >> Craig
> >>

> > Craig,
> >
> > Thanks for the information about ServletContextListener. But I wonder
> > what you do to reload updated data from database without restarting
> > using ServletContextListener. Have another action to call it reload()
> > like Matt Riable said?
>
> Just in case you're interested in some code:
>
> StartupListener: http://tinyurl.com/3wvk9
> ReloadAction: http://tinyurl.com/6webx
>
> Note that my StartupListener extends Spring's ContextLoaderListener.
> This is because servlet 2.3 containers do not guarantee listener order
> initialization.  If you're using Spring, I recommend this approach.  If
> not, you don't need to extend anything.

Actually, both 2.3 and 2.4 are quite specfic about calling order --
see SRV.10.3.3 (startup calls in the order of registration, which
means the order of listing in web.xml) and SRV.10.3.4 (shutdown calls
in reverse order of presentation).

Nothing wrong with what Matt suggests, but it shouldn't be necessary
in a compliant container. (AFAICR, Tomcat 4.x and 5.x have always done
this in the order described above.)

> Matt

Craig

Re: Meta Information in Action Form

Posted by Matt Raible <li...@raibledesigns.com>.

Posted by Christine Huang <ch...@gmail.com>.
On Apr 8, 2005 1:40 PM, Craig McClanahan <cr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The servlet container is *not* required to leave your load-on-startup
> servlet loaded for the entire duration of the webapp's lifetime
> (although, in practice, most containers do).  For example, the
> container could unload a servlet that it sees isn't being used, or if
> it has memory contention issues, or for whatever reason is desired.
>
> Of course, if you're talking about ActionServlet, it will get reloaded
> again on the next request, but that will cause your init() method to
> run again -- wasting a whole bunch of time in many cases.
>
> A ServletContextListener, on the other hand, guarantees that
> contextInitialized() will get called at startup time (before any
> requests have been processed), and contextDestroyed() will get called
> at shutdown time (after the last request), no matter what happens in
> between.
>
> Craig

Craig,

Thanks for the information about ServletContextListener. But I wonder
what you do to reload updated data from database without restarting
using ServletContextListener. Have another action to call it reload()
like Matt Riable said?

Christine

Re: Meta Information in Action Form

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@pingsite.com>.
Craig McClanahan wrote:

>That being said, I have seen cases where the potential performance
>penalty is quite large (many seconds of database access), which will
>show up in one of your users waiting an abnormally long time for their
>response -- not something I would find very appealling.

I don't like my users much anyway.

If it were up to me, they'd be waiting an infinitely long time for
EVERYTHING. Saves me the trouble of having to write it.

It's Friday, and I'm crabby :/

;)

Dave

Re: Meta Information in Action Form

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@gmail.com>.
On Apr 8, 2005 12:39 PM, Dave Newton <ne...@pingsite.com> wrote:
> Craig McClanahan wrote:
>
> >On Apr 8, 2005 11:28 AM, Dave Newton <ne...@pingsite.com> wrote:
> >

> >>I haven't done much (anything?) with servlet listeners--what's the
> >>advantage to doing it this way as opposed to a servlet.init that loads
> >>on app startup? Generally what we've done is to have a thread that
> >>checks a flag that signals DB changes that then calls the same code to
> >>reload everything. I'm not too involved with that part of the code though.
> >>
> >The servlet container is *not* required to leave your load-on-startup
> >servlet loaded for the entire duration of the webapp's lifetime
> >(although, in practice, most containers do).  For example, the
> >container could unload a servlet that it sees isn't being used, or if
> >it has memory contention issues, or for whatever reason is desired.
> >

> If the servlet is just putting objects into application scope does this
> matter?
>
> We weren't using the same servlet to reload that app-scoped data (don't
> ask; I don't know) but even if we were, would the only penalty be time?
> IOW, the servlet isn't "gone forever," right?

The previous servlet instance is indeed "gone forever", but anything
that it has placed into servlet context attributes is still around.

That being said, I have seen cases where the potential performance
penalty is quite large (many seconds of database access), which will
show up in one of your users waiting an abnormally long time for their
response -- not something I would find very appealling.

> >A ServletContextListener, on the other hand, guarantees that
> >contextInitialized() will get called at startup time (before any
> >requests have been processed), and contextDestroyed() will get called
> >at shutdown time (after the last request), no matter what happens in
> >between.
> >

> I think I'll move all this stuff over to there anyway; that sounds much
> cleaner.

Yep -- it's definitely cleaner.

> Thanks!
>
> Dave