Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by David van Coevorden <dv...@yahoo.com> on 2004/10/06 13:28:27 UTC

Generating forms

Hi,

Does anyone know of a tool that could generate html forms for me, based
on a Java bean definition?

Thank you
David

Re: Generating forms

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Oct 6, 2004, at 10:42 PM, Ben Eng wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 11:28:35AM -0400, Erik Hatcher wrote:
>> No, I haven't heard of anyone using Middlegen for Tapestry.
>>
>> I sort of cringe when I think of sites being generated from a database
>> though.  Instead of generation, think of dynamic runtime configuration
>> - perhaps reading the database metadata and "generating" the UI on the
>> fly and only having a single "page" in your system.
>
> Interesting idea. How do you dynamically create components (e.g.,
> TextField) on the page through Tapestry? I haven't seen any examples
> of doing this yet.

There needs to be more work done in this area to make it cleaner (and
there have been some newer ways to do this posted on this list recently
that I have not yet tried), but I've used @Block and @RenderBlock to
accomplish this successfully.

	Erik

Re: Generating forms

Posted by Ben Eng <be...@jetpen.com>.
On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 11:28:35AM -0400, Erik Hatcher wrote:
> No, I haven't heard of anyone using Middlegen for Tapestry.
>
> I sort of cringe when I think of sites being generated from a database
> though.  Instead of generation, think of dynamic runtime configuration
> - perhaps reading the database metadata and "generating" the UI on the
> fly and only having a single "page" in your system.

Interesting idea. How do you dynamically create components (e.g.,
TextField) on the page through Tapestry? I haven't seen any examples
of doing this yet.

Ben

Re: Generating forms

Posted by stephen smithstone <sk...@lchost.co.uk>.
maybe creating a template for androMDA < http://www.andromda.org/ >or
JAG < http://jag.sf.net > is a solution

Re: Generating forms

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.

Re: Generating forms

Re: Generating forms

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Oct 6, 2004, at 7:28 AM, David van Coevorden wrote:
> Does anyone know of a tool that could generate html forms for me, based
> on a Java bean definition?

The lightest-weight solution I can think of would be some code using
reflection that feeds a Velocity context and template.

Middlegen, if it is still alive and well, would do the trick also - but
might be overkill.

	Erik