Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> on 2012/12/19 13:43:19 UTC

PPMC versus commiter

A recent vote thread on the private list led Christian Grobmeier to
wonder why a podling was simultaneously proposing someone for PPMC and
committer status.

A few bits of background:

1. TLP's vary in their behavior in this regard. Some maintain a
committer!=PMC distinction, and some do not.

2. Historically, podlings have *not* maintained this distinction, but
have waited for graduation to sort  out the initial PMC members.

3. Legally/organizationally, since PPMC members don't have binding
votes, there's not much practical effect of making a distinction. At
the end of the day, only Incubator PMC members have binding votes.

4. Christian pointed out that the Open Office podling found the
process of sorting out the PMC/committer distinction to be painful.

With all respect, I don't see the OO podling as typical. It's sheer
size put it in a different category, and I for one do not feel
inclined to tell podlings to start keeping PPMC and committer distinct
on the basis of that history.

Re: PPMC versus commiter

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 9:44 PM, Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I disagree. It should be up to the podling, not general@, to decide if
> they have C=PPMC. If Christian wants to hold such a vote at the
> podling, he should do so.

Christian does not want to do anything like this. He just wanted to
share his thoughts and one of the most important links to a fellow. He
thinks it is the podlings business how they want to run their project
and he just wanted to share his thoughts on it.

Please don't let me look like I would advocate anything. I am not
doing that. I have just one thing in mind: help a nice guy from
another project (i don't know the others) to make his project a
success. This whole thread gets far more attention than it deserves;
the only issue I see is that we need to educate Mentors that there is
one more point of view (assuming they know the first one)

Cheers
Christian

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: PPMC versus commiter

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: PPMC versus commiter

Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.at>.
Hi folks,

Re: PPMC versus commiter

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: PPMC versus commiter

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
Similarly, I would not hold AOO as a typical podling - both the size,
complexity, and very, ahem, rich past history and personalities had a
large influence on their growth.

The real issue is: how do we clearly express these two possibilities for
podlings and potential donors/contributors to better understand them?
I.e. the concept of either c == (P)PMC or c != (P)PMC  (or even P=NP).

Even better: is there a general consensus on either the IPMC recommended
best practice, or, failing that, on a discussion page that lays out what
kinds of things a podling community would want to evaluate and think
about when they are trying to make their decision on their policies?

This is another place where we don't need a rule - but we do need to
better explain in docs what the best practices (in this case, either
one) for Apache projects are.

- Shane, personally for c != PMC, because it makes it easier to invite
people earlier

Re: PPMC versus commiter

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 1:43 PM, Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...2. Historically, podlings have *not* maintained this distinction, but
> have waited for graduation to sort  out the initial PMC members....

FWIW, Flex recently started electing people as committers only as a
first step, as some top-level projects do. But that podling is very
close to graduation (as in: should happen today ;-)

-Bertrand

Re: PPMC versus commiter

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 2:46 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz
<bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 2:45 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz
> <bd...@apache.org> wrote:
>> ...Not all TLDs do the same...
>
> s/TLD/TLP/ (inheriting Christian's typos ;-)

Guess what I did the whole day - domain name things :)

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: PPMC versus commiter

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Re: PPMC versus commiter

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 2:02 PM, Christian Grobmeier
<gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 1:43 PM, Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2. Historically, podlings have *not* maintained this distinction, but
>> have waited for graduation to sort  out the initial PMC members.
>
> Why do they behave differently than later as TLD?...

Not all TLDs do the same - some try to have committers == PMC, for
some its more or less the same set and AFAIK other PMCs always elect
people as committers first and eventually as PMC members as well.

There's no set rule. In general I like the committers == PMC idea, but
electing people as committers only sometimes allows for electing them
earlier which can be good.

-Bertrand

Re: PPMC versus commiter

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
The thing to avoid is to wind up with a significant number of active contributors on a project who are not on the pmc.  Separating committers from pmc members can be a symptom but it's manageable under the right conditions.  Note committers aren't the only class of contributors that projects might be unintentionally excluding from pmc participation.

Sent from my iPhone

Re: PPMC versus commiter

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Re: PPMC versus commiter

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 1:43 PM, Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> A recent vote thread on the private list led Christian Grobmeier to
> wonder why a podling was simultaneously proposing someone for PPMC and
> committer status.
>
> A few bits of background:
>
> 1. TLP's vary in their behavior in this regard. Some maintain a
> committer!=PMC distinction, and some do not.

I follow this:
http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#roles
The projects I am involved do distinct. not sure on the majority. I
take the link as recommendation though

> 2. Historically, podlings have *not* maintained this distinction, but
> have waited for graduation to sort  out the initial PMC members.

Why do they behave differently than later as TLD?

> 3. Legally/organizationally, since PPMC members don't have binding
> votes, there's not much practical effect of making a distinction. At
> the end of the day, only Incubator PMC members have binding votes.

The podling is here to learn about how TLDs work. I consider it practice.

> 4. Christian pointed out that the Open Office podling found the
> process of sorting out the PMC/committer distinction to be painful.
>
> With all respect, I don't see the OO podling as typical. It's sheer
> size put it in a different category, and I for one do not feel
> inclined to tell podlings to start keeping PPMC and committer distinct
> on the basis of that history.

I have not said we must make it a rule. Actually I am thinking every
podling can do it as they want to have it; they should just know about
the link i sent above. When podling members know about the differences
and still want to keep it that way, its fine. But they need to know.

I am not here to make up rules. For my taste there are already too many.

Sending links like above and telling from my experiences is what I
consider "mentorship" too. After all, I am listening to many oldtimers
here when they speak from their experiences.

Cheers
Christian

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: How to use an apache webpage

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 11:15 PM, Christian Grobmeier
<gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 1:19 AM, Nick Burch <ap...@gagravarr.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, 20 Dec 2012, Shane Curcuru wrote:
>>>
>>> I put the DRAFT on because I originally wrote these for my personal
>>> Community Over Code site, and I wanted to ensure the style was appropriate
>>> for a path under a.o/foundation, which makes it official.
>>

>> I wonder if a label like "work in progress" might be better suited, if we
>> want to indicate in future that something is incomplete but input is
>> welcomed?

If I follow this thread, the point is that (a) we have no process for
formally approving the docs in question, so (b) they always remain
W-I-P or DRAFT, so (c) no one knows whether to believe them.

The proposal here, to which I am +1, is that all of the docs are
subject to patches and vetos. So we need no such marking, but rather
the members of the responsible PMC need to act on their responsibility
and talk/act if they see something so wrong that someone should *not*
believe it. Until then, we trust the committers of these docs to
commit things that people should believe.

If someone wants to propose a small-print footer that copies this
policy, which is already on the incubator 'how to update the website
page', someone should, well, commit it.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nick Burch <ap...@gagravarr.org>.

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
r843246

I put the DRAFT on because I originally wrote these for my personal
Community Over Code site, and I wanted to ensure the style was
appropriate for a path under a.o/foundation, which makes it official.
Since at least Christian seems to like it, I've removed the DRAFT.  No,
I didn't get the idea from RBD, it's just a habit I have when I get
something partway done without having time to finish it all the way... 8-)

Thanks for the reminder, will try to cleanup and do the same to the
whole /governance tree over the holidays.  Personally, I think they're a
really helpful resource.

- Shane

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

How to use an apache webpage

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Re: PPMC versus commiter

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Re: PPMC versus commiter

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Re: PPMC versus commiter

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
Christian Grobmeier wrote on Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 05:47:56 +0100:
> On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 5:44 AM, Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > That's just RBD's signature boilerplate for a document he likely started.  Feel free to remove it if you think it detracts from the document.
> >

> I leave the labeling of a document to the people who worked on it

So ask Shane or site-dev@ to remove the label.

(That's assuming you agree the label does not belong on the document ---
ie, that the current text is accurate.)

Re: PPMC versus commiter

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

Re: PPMC versus commiter

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Re: PPMC versus commiter

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

Re: PPMC versus commiter

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.

Re: PPMC versus commiter

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
Christian, you can review any podling I'm a mentor on, including AOO, to
see discussion of both models. I'm sure many other projects have discussed
this too.

The page you refer to is correct, there are two separate roles as
recognised by the foundation.

You do have a point that things can be documented more clearly, they always
can be, but I don't think the how it works page is at fault. That page
doesn't describe how someone gets those roles, it merely defines the roles
the foundation recognises.

Ross

Sent from a mobile device, please excuse mistakes and brevity

Re: PPMC versus commiter

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

Re: PPMC versus commiter

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Re: PPMC versus commiter

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
I was that other mentor...*smile*

But the awesome part is that I respect Marvin's opinion, as well as the
opinion of others that believe (P)PMC != C.

Just not on the projects I will work on :)

Cheers,
Chris

Re: PPMC versus commiter

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Re: PPMC versus commiter

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
Benson Margulies wrote on Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 07:43:19 -0500:
> 3. Legally/organizationally, since PPMC members don't have binding
> votes, there's not much practical effect of making a distinction. At
> the end of the day, only Incubator PMC members have binding votes.

The practical differences are:

- Can work on security bug reports (on security@a.o+podling-private@)
- Can vote on new committers/PPMC members
- Is default candidate for PMC membership at graduation

Re: PPMC versus commiter

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Sent from my iPhone

Re: PPMC versus commiter

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
Probably better to discuss on the project's lists than here

Sent from my iPhone

Re: PPMC versus commiter

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
It certainly should be discu

Re: PPMC versus commiter

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: PPMC versus commiter

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Re: PPMC versus commiter

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.

Re: PPMC versus commiter

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Re: PPMC versus commiter

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
Mattmann, Chris A (388J) wrote on Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 16:35:51 +0000:
> Making someone a C without PPMC gives them the power to evolve the code,
> but not to help make decisions about how can maintain it, or when to
> release it. Something about that, I just don't find right.

You _don't need to have commit access_ to do either of those things.

Do you want examples?  One of the reasons Subversion 1.7.0-rc1 did not
become GA is that one of our users pointed out that the new backend was
missing some trait that 1.6 had had.  We pulled the entire new backend
over that, and released rc2 --- and eventually 1.7.0 proper --- without
that backend.

Re: PPMC versus commiter

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
On 12/19/12 11:40 , Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 5:35 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J)
> <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
>> ...Making someone a C without PPMC gives them the power to evolve the code,
>> but not to help make decisions about how can maintain it, or when to
>> release it. Something about that, I just don't find right....
> As I said, in general I agree, but as a temporary situation that might
> allow a project to elect someone as a committer early, while taking a
> bit more time before granting them PMC power.

Agreed.

Considering we've given people commit access to create documentation or
examples, I think you shouldn't assume that C == "evolve the code".

I think we're better off only implementing "one size fits all" rules
when absolutely necessary. I don't think this is one of those situations.

-> richard

Re: PPMC versus commiter

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
On 12/19/12 8:40 AM, "Bertrand Delacretaz" <bd...@apache.org> wrote:

>On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 5:35 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J)
><ch...@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
>> ...Making someone a C without PPMC gives them the power to evolve the
>>code,
>> but not to help make decisions about how can maintain it, or when to
>> release it. Something about that, I just don't find right....
>
>As I said, in general I agree, but as a temporary situation that might
>allow a project to elect someone as a committer early, while taking a
>bit more time before granting them PMC power.

I wasn't replying directly to you, Bertrand, I was replying in general.

That said, and I don't want to take this down a long never ending thread,
why separate the "power"? That seems like an artificial line to me and
quite honestly I wouldn't work on a project where you trust me to
develop/evolve the code, but don't trust me to release it or judge/elect
new folks to help maintain it.

If you want to elect someone early, elect them as both, early :)

Cheers,
Chris

Re: PPMC versus commiter

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Re: PPMC versus commiter

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
I have always recommended PPMC==C on all of my podlings, and was taught
about that flat organizational structure when I started to see the light
at Apache.

2 Tweets that I truly believe in:

https://twitter.com/flamefew/statuses/36352411593351168
https://twitter.com/flamefew/statuses/36352484263858176