Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Prasanna Santhanam <ts...@apache.org> on 2013/03/01 10:01:21 UTC

Re: [ACS41] 4.1 branch moving to "limited updates only" after today

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 10:56:05PM +0530, Chip Childers wrote:
> Everyone should know this by now, but our schedule has us shifting to a
> model where we limit the commits going into the 4.1 branch to a very
> few.
>
> Now we have some serious bugs still outstanding, which is challenging to
> say the least.  That being said, I'd suggest that we don't change the
> plan.  Stabilizing the 4.1 branch should be our focus, and that means
> that we have to be very selective about what commits go into it moving
> forward.
>
> I'll ask that, as of the end of the day today, anyone with a commit that
> they want cherry-picked into 4.1 (or a patch, if conflicts are expected)
> please send an email to the list with the following tags:
>
> [ACS41][Patch Request] - Followed by a reasonable description (or the bug ID).
>
> I'll be watching the list and applying them as soon as I can.
>
> However - I'd suggest a couple of things:
>
> First, you need to *test* the fix.  I'd actually ask that we take this a
> bit further than unit testing the fix.  If there's a bug reporter, give
> them the patch and have them build from 4.1 with the patch applied...
> before asking to move it into the branch officially.  This does effect
> the process that the Citrix QA team is used to following, but I think it's
> the best option for us as a community.
>
> Second, I need help ensuring that the commit to cherry-pick applies
> cleanly to the 4.1 branch.  If you do the first thing, this should be
> easy...  but I'll highlight this anyway.  If it's going to have
> conflicts, then you should be providing a patch that already deals with
> the conflicts.  Patches like this should be in the email itself, or in
> reviewboard.
>
> So this is what I'd *like* to see - starting tomorrow.
>
> Objections?  Comments?  Concerns?
>
> -chip

+1 - Sorry I just saw this and made a fix without the aforementioned
patch request. So I'll take it that this applies from Mar 1st 2013,
in one's respective timezone.

--
Prasanna.,

Re: [ACS41] 4.1 branch moving to "limited updates only" after today

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Fri, Mar 01, 2013 at 09:19:58PM +0530, Radhika Puthiyetath wrote:
> Thanks Chip, but I do have questions. If somebody can answer them, I can make necessary changes and push them a.s.a.p.
>
> Else, I will post them on Review Board.

That's a great approach...  and even if you get the answer you need via
another mechanism, you can always discard the reviewboard posting and
commit.

Posted by Radhika Puthiyetath <ra...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Fri, Mar 01, 2013 at 01:09:42PM -0500, Sebastien Goasguen wrote:

> On Mar 1, 2013, at 10:41 AM, Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Mar 01, 2013 at 09:08:46PM +0530, Radhika Puthiyetath wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> No special treatment is expecting for Documentation:  I am going to submit  the Doc changes for 4.1 as patches on the Review Board.  Please review them at the earliest , if you are one of the reviewer.
> >>

> > I think that today's doc sprint deserves the right to push changes as
> > they are made...  so let's keep committing docs directly to 4.1 to catch
> > that part of the release up.
>
> Can folks make sure to also apply to master docs, otherwise they will get out of sync.
>
> -sebastien

+1 - folks seem to be doing that (and Joe's been reminding others on IRC
today), but good reminder on the list Sebastien

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Radhika Puthiyetath <ra...@citrix.com>.
Hi,

No special treatment is expecting for Documentation:  I am going to submit  the Doc changes for 4.1 as patches on the Review Board.  Please review them at the earliest , if you are one of the reviewer.

Also, do respond to the queries posted on respective JIRA items corresponding to the features/ defects/enhancements. One set of such questions are posted at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-645.

Thanks
-Radhika

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Fri, Mar 01, 2013 at 08:58:04PM +0530, Pranav Saxena wrote:
> Just had a chat with Chip over this on the IRC   . I can volunteer to apply the patches over this weekend in case there are any , provided they are fully tested and reviewed by someone , since the patches might not be form my area of expertise.
>
> And I'll let Abhi take over this on the weekdays (assuming he's not available on the weekends ) to facilitate the committing of the patches to 4.1  - Just my thoughts !
>
> Regards,
> Pranav

Fantastic...  so we'll limit code commits for the 4.1 branch to only
coming from Abhi, Pranav and myself... with some great timezone and date
coverage for the job!

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.