Posted to dev@avro.apache.org by Ismaël Mejía <ie...@gmail.com> on 2021/07/13 19:16:34 UTC

[REPORT] Board report for Apache Avro July 2021

Hello,

You will find here the Avro report for this quarter, let me know if
any comments or ideas to improve it or to improve future versions.

Apache Avro is a data serialization system with a compact binary format. It is
used for storing and transporting schema driven serialized data. The unique
features of Avro include automatic schema resolution - when the reader's
expected schema is different from the actual schema with which the data was
serialized the data is automatically adapted to meet reader's requirements.

## Issues:

There are no issues requiring board attention.

## Membership Data:
Apache Avro was founded 2010-04-20 (10 years ago)
There are currently 34 committers and 24 PMC members in this project.
The Committer-to-PMC ratio is roughly 3:2.

Community changes, past quarter:
- No new committers. Last addition was Kengo Seki on 2020-07-08.
- No new PMC member elected. Last addition was Ryan Skraba on 2020-09-14

## Project Activity:

An Avro implementation based on Rust was integrated into Apache Avro (donated
by Yelp). Due to this and some in progress contributions the Avro 1.11.0
release was slightly delayed to Q3.

For those who prefer metrics:

Mailing Lists:
- dev@avro.apache.org had 665 emails (43% decrease)
- user@avro.apache.org had 37 emails (54% increase)
- issues@avro.apache.org had 155 emails (51% decrease)

JIRA:
- 63 issues opened (-28% change)
- 35 issues closed (-43% change)

Commit activity:
- 107 commits in the past quarter (-52% decrease)
- 14 code contributors in the past quarter (-41% change)

GitHub:
- 93 PRs open (-35% change)
- 86 PRs closed (-38% change)

## Community Health:

Community health is doing well at drawing in contributions. The pace was lower
during this quarter, the number of contributors diminished. We had the
donation of an Avro implementation on Rust which we expect will grow in
interest once released. The PMC keeps the ongoing track of recognizing
contributors through committership.

We are slight off of our expected release cadence (average a release every two
quarters due to the new codebase and some unfinished work). Work to modernize
some implementations (C++/Ruby) is still ongoing as well as the intention to
downstream Avro releases into other downstream Apache projects eagerly.

Re: [REPORT] Board report for Apache Avro July 2021

Posted by Ryan Skraba <ry...@skraba.com>.
Thanks Ismael.  This looks good to me -- I'm not too worried about
pushing back the release 1.11.0 to the latter half of the year,
especially since the Java 1.10.2 release is a good step in the
meantime for downstream projects.