Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com> on 2013/07/24 23:10:19 UTC

reducing the number of separate builds?

Hi Team, as a result of switching from OpenJPA to EclipseLink, we don't
need the build-javaee-release.sh process anymore, I've tested that the
Tomcat WAR works fine with GlassFish.  Any problems if I get rid of that
script (and delete the corresponding Roller-for-Javaee build on Jenkins)?

Also, I've finally gotten trunk to work on JBoss and have fully updated
the instructions in the Install Guide.  There are three problems however
that I made a note of in the guide -- (1) mail functionality can be
intermittent (but when it *does* work at the time you deploy it seems to
always work at least during that deploy), (2) AFAICT the
roller-custom.properties needs to be stored *within* the WAR, there's no
nice $CATALINA_HOME/lib folder where I can store it like with Tomcat,
and (3) Roller logging as configured within the roller-custom.properties
will not activate (just JBoss server logging works).  The logging file
will be created but it just remains empty.

At any rate, I don't think we need the build-jboss-release.sh either
anymore.  Again, OK if I get rid of it?  I used the same Tomcat WAR for
JBoss (in this case, JBoss ignores the EclipseLink in the WAR and uses
its own Hibernate).  In the Install instructions I have the user update
the persistence.xml file in the WAR to mention his Hibernate database
dialect (a JBoss Hibernate requirement) as well as copy in his
roller-custom.properties file.  Given that the user needs to hack his
WAR file anyway, not much is gained with a build-jboss-release.sh
script.  In the install guide, I mentioned five files (EclipseLink,
XercesImpl, Javassist, and the Sun and Jetty XML config files) within
the WAR the user can delete if he wants, but it's optional, JBoss works
fine with them anyway.

Rather than have build-{server}-release.sh we later might wish to create
JEE-specific Maven EAR submodules that bring in the standard WAR and
add/subtract whatever files from it.  But I don't see any great need for
it right now.

BTW, as a result of the latest changes both Hibernate and EclipseLink
work fine on Tomcat, just by switching the JPA dependencies in the
pom.xml you can create a WAR using one or the other.

Regards,
Glen

Re: reducing the number of separate builds?

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.
The three problems mentioned in the 2nd paragraph below were all fixed
today.

Glen