Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com> on 2004/08/26 07:23:47 UTC

Re: [SITE][mp2] Associating an interpreter pool with a directory

rgies@copypasted.com wrote:
> Is it within the scope of mod_perl2 to duplicate its interpreter pool
> framework?
>
> Intention:
>
>   To have separate interpreter pools for directories /test1 and /test2

Read http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/config/config.html

It looks like you would just need to do this:

<Location /test1>
   PerlOptions     +Clone
   PerlInterpStart 2
   PerlInterpMax   2
</Location>

<Location /test2>
   PerlOptions     +Clone
   PerlInterpStart 2
   PerlInterpMax   2
</Location>

You would have to run threads of course, e.g. the "worker" MPM.  I run
in pre-fork MPM, so I haven't really played with these options yet.

> It is my current desire to go away from FastCGI and embrace mod_perl.  For
> those familiar with FastCGI, I am wanting mod_perl2 to work the same way.

It doesn't sound that way to me.  FastCGI does not support perl threads,
does it?  The things you're talking about (only one singleton instance
per interpreter pool, global $count per pool) are only possible by using
perl threads.

- Perrin

Re: [SITE][mp2] Associating an interpreter pool with a directory

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Perrin Harkins wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-08-26 at 16:15, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>It works with prefork MPM too as long as perl has ithreads enabled, it's
>>exercised in the test suite.
>

> That wouldn't really be the same thing though, would it?  For example,
> every child process would have a different $count variable and a
> different instance of the singleton object.

That's correct, Perrin.

Re: [SITE][mp2] Associating an interpreter pool with a directory

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com>.

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Posted by Jozef Kosoru <zy...@uid0.sk>.
On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 01:23:47 -0400, Perrin Harkins wrote:
> Read http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/config/config.html
>
> It looks like you would just need to do this:
>
> <Location /test1>
>   PerlOptions     +Clone
>   PerlInterpStart 2
>   PerlInterpMax   2
> </Location>
>
> <Location /test2>
>   PerlOptions     +Clone
>   PerlInterpStart 2
>   PerlInterpMax   2
> </Location>
>
> You would have to run threads of course, e.g. the "worker" MPM.  I run
> in pre-fork MPM, so I haven't really played with these options yet.

Last time I tried "+Clone" option (approx. 1 month ago) it didn't work.
It caused Apache to hang on startup.
Does anybody successfully use this option?

jozef

--
jozef kosoru
http://zyzstar.kosoru.com