Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by pkcinna <pk...@gmail.com> on 2010/08/01 14:08:07 UTC

Godaddy shared hosting workaround

There used to be a workaround for Godaddy shared hosting and Wicket but I
cannot find it with Google anymore.

Any suggestions for the following Godaddy shared hosting restrictions?

1) Cannot write to file system except /tmp directory.  Does wicket attempt
to open any files in write mode on startup?
2) Tomcat restarted at 1am Arizona time daily.  How will this effect users
if they have a session open at that time?  Will the session be lost with
wicket or will it persist okay?
3) filters don't seem to work and app context root can't be "/" since its on
a shared tomcat process.  How can I setup wicket to run as a servlet?

I am hoping if I use a org.apache.log4j.jdbc.JDBCAppender with log4j it will
actually show stack traces of what goes wrong.  Very painful process but
this is the environment I'm stuck with.

Re: Godaddy shared hosting workaround

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 5:08 AM, pkcinna <pk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> There used to be a workaround for Godaddy shared hosting and Wicket but I
> cannot find it with Google anymore.
>
> Any suggestions for the following Godaddy shared hosting restrictions?
>
> 1) Cannot write to file system except /tmp directory.  Does wicket attempt
> to open any files in write mode on startup?

use session store to store the pages, then no files will be created.

> 2) Tomcat restarted at 1am Arizona time daily.  How will this effect users
> if they have a session open at that time?  Will the session be lost with
> wicket or will it persist okay?

only if tomcat is configured to persist them across restarts

> 3) filters don't seem to work and app context root can't be "/" since its on
> a shared tomcat process.  How can I setup wicket to run as a servlet?

see WicketServlet

-igor