Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Gabriel Corneanu <ga...@wireless-vision.de> on 2001/04/24 09:24:25 UTC

Bug? Missing (closing tag) !!

Hello,
I have just found something very strange: if you use <li> and </li> in a
document and access it with Cocoon 1.8.2, the result doesn't contain the
closing tag (</li>). I have found this even in xdocs and in some of the
sites "proudly powered by Cocoon".
Please try this:
 <ul>
  <li>item</li>
  <li>----</li>
 </ul>
and "view source" from the browser. I can't think of something more
clear than this. I tried it with or without a stylesheet!
I am not a web designer; I tried to find the error in my stylesheets
and/or taglibs. I can't understand how could everybody (at least the
real designers) ignore (or didn't see) it. The point is that usualy IE
can handle it (view source), but I don't know the other browsers. If
somehow it is my mistake, please accept my appologies in advance.

Thanks,
Gabriel Corneanu

Re: Bug? Missing (closing tag) !!

Posted by Matthew Cordes <mc...@maine.edu>.
Hi,

My guess is that Xalan/Saxon transforms your xml into todays HTML.
AFAIK html4 does not require a closing </li> tag. I'm pretty sure you
can tell cocoon you'd like it to generate xhtml, perhaps this would solve
your problem.

-matt

Re: Bug? Missing (closing tag) !!

Posted by "Piroumian, Konstantin" <KP...@flagship.ru>.
If you use HTML formatter then everything's correct, because in HTML <li>
tags are usually used alone, the losing tag is not required in HTML. And as
far as I know, some browsers do not handle them correctly when the closing
tag is used.

Regards,
    Konstantin Piroumian.