Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com> on 2021/11/04 12:57:37 UTC

Proposal to add "release requirements" check

Hello Everyone @devcom,

I am following up after the discussion  at users@infra.a.o:
https://lists.apache.org/thread/skswflvf0q8lbgkmxo18v19s62hkqf3j. This is
not a public mailing list and maybe not everyone here is subscribed so let
me summarise the context and the proposal. BTW. That's my view on the state
of the discussion we had and conclusions/proposals I drew from that.

Context:

We seem to have some of the projects that do not follow all the important
requirements when it comes to publishing GA releases for their projects.
The requirements are pretty firm and documented here:
https://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#host-GA and in the
following paragraphs. They boil down to :

a) have an installation page where you can verify releases with:
* signatures and checksums (links to those should be directly do
downloads.apache.org
* packages - links to those should use closer.lua scripts (which are then
automatically mapped to CDN currently - previously to mirroring sites)

b) Have they releases archived appropriately (i.e. only last version from
the development "branch"  should remain in downloads@a.o

Proposal:

I think the best way to get this solved permanently (rather than sending
reminder emails to everyone) is to add a check in the reporter tool (
https://reporter.apache.org/about.html) to verify those two aspects, so
that they could be verified by projects themselves and the board  - seems
that this is a very important aspect that ASF is very concerned about, so
making it part of the board review makes sense and gives the opportunity of
individual flagging when the project does not follow it, It has happened
with our project - Airflow at the last board review, and we fixed all that,
but the idea is that the ASF has an easy to use tool that will add such
checks and flags

Point b) is quite easy it seems. Airflow already has simple Python script
that does that can be adjusted or rewritten to handle multiple "lines" of
development (with some per-project specifics likely) :
https://github.com/apache/airflow/blob/main/dev/provider_packages/remove_old_releases.py.
It can also be used to actually help with clean-up (we use it for that
purpose as we have ~40/50 packages to release every month).

Point  a) also should not be difficult as long as each project will submit
their installation page links, we can scrape them and see if the pages
contain signature/ascii direct links and closer.lua links for packages.

Do you think it is a good idea? I just wanted to run it by the community to
see what you think of it, whether you see any potential
problems/limitations/concerns?

Just one request please - without yet getting into technical details and
discussing HOWs. We will have time for that.

If there is a community (and board :) buy-in, I am happy to
implement/lead/introduce it. It would dramatically help if others -
especially people from various projects that might have some special cases
- could help with testing/piloting it.

J.

Re: Proposal to add "release requirements" check

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, 8 Nov 2021 at 11:19, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > However that assumes that you know where to find the download page(s).
> > It also assumes that projects update their download page(s) to only
> > show current releases.
>
> It does indeed assume that, and a few other things. Currently policy doesn't specify what the download page URL should be, but once known I would guess it wouldn’t change often.

If only.

Several projects use a different URL for each release. For example
https://daffodil.apache.org/releases/
https://db.apache.org/derby/derby_downloads.html
https://guacamole.apache.org/releases/

Some projects use different pages for source and binaries, e.g.
https://ant.apache.org/bindownload.cgi

Posted by Hans Van Akelyen <ha...@gmail.com>.
I was also talking more from a user perspective.
It's not that hard to create a one pager that contains the latest version,
release dates, release notes and keys for all packages the project provides.

In the case of Airflow it's pretty much what you put in announcements, and
this one is fairly obvious to find.
On some other projects you really have to start digging.

And I am not sure I would want yet another xml/json/yaml config file that
has to be maintained when creating a release.
eg. you should update your DOAP file too (
https://projects.apache.org/project.html?airflow) as Dave said, many
projects fail to do so.

Maybe the download page url should be configurable (use the DOAP?), but I
would rather have a uniform way of finding that page.

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com>.
It's an interesting (but not practical) idea to base the set of active
branches on the links in documentation pages.I would never try to do
that really and it was never anywhere close to my proposal - scanning
download pages is only to check if they have proper links/closer.lua
script, nothing else.

I think I am not looking for a perfect solution from day one which
will solve all cases. Problem with that is the same as with DAOs -
assuming that we have them is nice, but practically that does not work
as it requires upfront work from the projects. This makes them
essentially useless because projects do not have them and they are not
updated. It's a bit of a chicken-egg problem for all systems that
require every independent "project" in the organisation to implement
something in order to see the benefits of it. You cannot really make
use of a DAO to get "common view" of the projects until you are sure
that a) they are there b) they are updated regularly and that requires
the interested "projects" keep them updated as part of their
processes. I have no doubt implementing a new common process across
all the projects of ASF is next to impossible if you want to add a
"new" process to follow.  I am not "that" stupid to not realize that.

My idea is different - to tap as much as possible into existing
processes and make it a one-off effort for the project to comply. The
idea is that If it is flagged at board review time (automatically)
that the project does not follow rules, they will get notified and
after they correct their existing process/configuration/process it
will continue to work without change (and they will see if they are
compliant).

Tapping into existing processes:

1) updating URL to release page at "release submission page" seems
doable (and there are various ways you can make it easy and natural)
2) "downloads.apache.org" and "archives.apache.org" are already
updated (same process) - detecting artifacts that should be removed
from downloads - seems quite possible. They can look differently for
different projects. But my assumption is (something to work out over
time) that there are just a few patterns of versions to follow.

So coming back to point 1)  we might ask the projects to (again at
release submission time) choose which pattern they use (Semver or
other) - and even more explicitly ask them if there are releases that
should be made obsolete/inactive. That will require a bit of guessing
and mistakes initially when we add more projects, but - again - there
is a board review process that we can tap into. Every time there is a
board review time, we can look at the projects that are coming and add
a pattern or two if missing - and during the first review to ask them
about old releases. Eventually after a full round, the only effort
will be to add new projects that graduate, but then they will have
enough patterns to choose from at the first release

This means that we can have an "eventually consistent" system after
sufficient time passes - the important thing is that we can do it
gradually and over time. Even if we add a few projects a month,
eventually we will get there.

BTW. I actually tried to submit DAO for Airflow and failed miserably
(it was a long time ago and I don't remember details but tooling
set-up was not worth it and I gave up finally - also because I could
not see what DAO submission brings us or the ASF (precisely the
chicken-egg problem)

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hans Van Akelyen <ha...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, 8 Nov 2021 at 00:49, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > Purging old releases needs at least two data sources:
> > - the list of files on downloads.apache.org <http://downloads.apache.org/> (or the dist.a.o source).
> > This is trivial to obtain.
> > - the list of current versions for each release. This is the most
> > difficult part.
>
> The check dist area script I wrote attempts to do this. [1] It get the list of released version from the download page and matches them up with what is in the dist area.

However that assumes that you know where to find the download page(s).
It also assumes that projects update their download page(s) to only
show current releases.

Once you have that information, the rest is relatively easy (unless
the download page uses Javascript)

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Purging old releases needs at least two data sources:
> - the list of files on downloads.apache.org <http://downloads.apache.org/> (or the dist.a.o source).
> This is trivial to obtain.
> - the list of current versions for each release. This is the most
> difficult part.

The check dist area script I wrote attempts to do this. [1] It get the list of released version from the download page and matches them up with what is in the dist area. To be complete you also need to look in the archives (which I’ve not done yet).  It does have some of the issues you mention but it’s a start and worked for abut 90% of Incubating projects. having something that works for project project is probably a good start and it can be refined from there.

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com>.
Of course, I know there are differences, and yes I think we need at
least a few iterations and cooperation of different projects.

How I really like to work with such projects is that I roughly think
about a solution, then experiment, see what works and finally when I
have a working POC I involve people and we work together on finalizing
stuff. I strongly believe in  "Emergent design" and it is based on the
assumption that (especially in open-source) experiments, trying
different things and sometimes failing - but learning from that and
moving forward - is the best approach. I think this kind of project is
perfect for such approach - where you can gradually add groups of
projects that do things similarly and then incrementally add new
patterns.Taking into account that it is not "business critical and the
whole cycle of board reviews takes many moths, it seems ideal for such
approach.

This will undoubtedly take a while to complete and sort out all the
issues and since I am doing it in my free time, I hope I can engage
others - especially those who seem to be vitally interested in making
it work. I do not have "all answers" yet (or even I have almost none
now) and I hope not only myself but also people from other projects
can be involved and we can all learn something new. Having all answers
upfront is a bad idea for such kind of community project, where I hope
to engage others.

> By the way, how are you going to let people know about the changes to the reporter tool?

Speaking of others being involved in the project- would you like to
help with that part?
I am happy to hear some suggestions for that part especially?
What do you think will work best? Any ideas there ?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, 7 Nov 2021 at 21:21, Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com> wrote:

> I (and Craig I guess) were discussing the  whole solution - which also
> includes cleaning download artifacts.

Purging old releases needs at least two data sources:
- the list of files on downloads.apache.org (or the dist.a.o source).
This is trivial to obtain.
- the list of current versions for each release. This is the most
difficult part.

Not only does it vary between PMCs, there are different release
strategies for different products.
For example Commons DBCP has multiple releases for different versions
of JDBC, whereas most other Commons components have one active
release.

Furthermore, the number of active releases for a product may change
from time to time.

Also products sometimes get retired.

I think you are going to need more than just a download page link to
enable accurate reporting of unpurged releases.

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com>.
I (and Craig I guess) were discussing the  whole solution - which also
includes cleaning download artifacts. You incorrectly assumed that
this thread is only about the release page (see the original message
of mine). However, thanks for being as usual vigilant and pointing out
every possibly inaccurate statement.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com>.

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jarek,

> [...]

> It can also be used to actually help with clean-up (we use it for that
> purpose as we have ~40/50 packages to release every month).
>
> Point  a) also should not be difficult as long as each project will submit
> their installation page links, we can scrape them and see if the pages
> contain signature/ascii direct links and closer.lua links for packages.
>
> Do you think it is a good idea? I just wanted to run it by the community to
> see what you think of it, whether you see any potential
> problems/limitations/concerns?
>
> Just one request please - without yet getting into technical details and
> discussing HOWs. We will have time for that.
>
> If there is a community (and board :) buy-in, I am happy to
> implement/lead/introduce it. It would dramatically help if others -
> especially people from various projects that might have some special cases

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org

Re: Proposal to add "release requirements" check

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com>.
Hello, anyone else has an opinion :) ?

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com>.
Oh cool :)