Posted to dev@giraph.apache.org by Sergey Edunov <ed...@apache.org> on 2016/09/22 17:29:27 UTC

Releasing Giraph 1.2

Hi All,

Finally, we now have a clean build of Giraph 1.2
https://builds.apache.org/job/Giraph-1.2/
So, we can now start the release process.
Roman, can you please explain release steps here, I'll try to follow
them and ask questions if something isn't clear. That will allow us to
keep the log for future release managers.

Regards,
Sergey Edunov

Re: Releasing Giraph 1.2

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 10:29 AM, Sergey Edunov <ed...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Finally, we now have a clean build of Giraph 1.2
> https://builds.apache.org/job/Giraph-1.2/
> So, we can now start the release process.
> Roman, can you please explain release steps here, I'll try to follow
> them and ask questions if something isn't clear. That will allow us to
> keep the log for future release managers.

When I was doing the last release of Giraph the steps I remember are:
   1. Get the branch into a clean state [DONE]
   2. Create the first RC0 tag on that branch under rel. Lets call it
           rel/1.2.0-RC1
   3. Once you create the tag make sure that the first commit on
       top of that tag has POM version of 1.2.0. The temptation is
       to include -RC in the version ID as well, but that's not such
       a good idea in practice.
   4. Do a local build/test/whatever from that tag.
   5. Run mvn install in the release profile for both Hadoop 1 and
       Hadoop 2 profiles. This will create (among other things) four
       release tarballs under your
             ~/.m2/repository/org/apache/giraph/giraph-dist
       Basically, very similar to what you see in our last official release:
              https://repository.apache.org/service/local/repo_groups/public/content/org/apache/giraph/giraph-dist/1.1.0/
   6. Copy the four release tarballs (2 source and 2 binary tarballs -
       one for each profile of Hadoop) PLUS all the md5 sha and asc
       files to under:
               http://people.apache.org/~YOUR_ASF_ID/giraph/1.2.0-RC0
      folder.
   7. Make sure that the content there look ok (try to build and run Giraph
       just from those tarballs).
   8. Try to stage the Maven artifacts by running mvn deploy to ASF repo.
       This step may require you to have ASF Maven karma. If this fails --
       talk to me on IM.
   9. Once you have all things like these, drop a note to the dev@ with
       pre-vote solicitation of feedback.

This is about it. I'm willing to be on IM helping along shaposhnik at
gmail dot com
but in return, I'd like to request that the entire process is fully documented
step by step on the wiki ;-)

Sounds fair?

Thanks,
Roman.