Posted to p-dev@xerces.apache.org by Petter Reinholdtsen <pe...@hungry.com> on 2001/10/08 16:48:23 UTC

Problems using XML-Xerces 1.5.7 with xerces-c 1.5.1

I'm trying to compile XML-Xerces 1.5.7 with xerces-c 1.5.1 on Solaris
using SUN Forte C++.  I have several problems.  The last one I noticed
is that XML-Xerces 1.5.7 is using SAXParser::getScanner(), a symbol
which was removed from xerces-c on 2001-06-23.

Is the C and Perl version in sync with each other?  Which version of
the libraries am I supposed to use together?

Re: Problems using XML-Xerces 1.5.7 with xerces-c 1.5.1

Posted by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com>.
"Petter Reinholdtsen" <pe...@hungry.com> writes:

> I'm trying to compile XML-Xerces 1.5.7 with xerces-c 1.5.1 on Solaris
> using SUN Forte C++.  I have several problems.  The last one I noticed
> is that XML-Xerces 1.5.7 is using SAXParser::getScanner(), a symbol
> which was removed from xerces-c on 2001-06-23.

Hi Petter,

I really should keep this information in the README, thanks for the
feedback. Here's from SAXParser.hpp:

 * $Log: SAXParser.hpp,v $
 * Revision 1.20  2001/08/01 19:11:02  tng
 * Add full schema constraint checking flag to the samples and the parser.
 *
 * Revision 1.19  2001/07/27 20:24:21  tng
 * put getScanner() back as they were there before, not to break existing apps.
 *
 * Revision 1.18  2001/07/16 12:52:09  tng
 * APIDocs fix: default for schema processing in DOMParser, IDOMParser, and SAXParser should be false.
 *
 * Revision 1.17  2001/06/23 14:13:16  tng
 * Remove getScanner from the Parser headers as this is not needed and Scanner is not internal class.

As you can see, they took it out and put it back a month later.

> Is the C and Perl version in sync with each other?  Which version of
> the libraries am I supposed to use together?

Because the Xerces-c group only makes releases every 6 months or so,
Xerces.pm and Xerces-C will only be in sync at the minor version
number, not at the subversion number (i.e. 1.5.7 for Xerces.pm and
1.5.1 for Xerces-C).

I believe that it will help out a lot if I document in the README what
version of Xerces-C I have built Xerces.pm for.

Because of the huge memory fixes that have happened since
Xerces-C-1.5.1, I recommend that people use the latest nightly build:

  http://xml.apache.org/dist/xerces-c/nightly/2001-10-05/

HTH,
jas.