Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by lei liu <li...@gmail.com> on 2010/12/06 12:01:01 UTC

If one seed node crash, how can I add one seed node?

After one seed node crash, I want to add one node as seed node, I set
*auto_bootstrap
to true, but the new node don't *migrate data from other nodes.

How can I add one new seed node and let the node to * *migrate data from
other nodes?

Thanks,

LiuLei

Re: If one seed node crash, how can I add one seed node?

Posted by Ryan King <ry...@twitter.com>.
On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 1:07 PM, Eric Gilmore <er...@riptano.com> wrote:

> What would comprise a sane and reasonably balanced list?  Should there be a
> certain proportion of seeds per total nodes?  Any other considerations
> besides a) list must be identical on all nodes and b) you can't
> auto-bootstrap a seed node?

Here's what we've used. No warranty beyond "works for us"

1) have more than 1 seed unless you can tolerate cluster outages
2) the the nodes should converge on agreement, but temporary discrepancies
in the seed lists on each node are acceptable
3) add seeds from pre-bootstrapped nodes

-ryan

Re: If one seed node crash, how can I add one seed node?

Posted by Aaron Morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.
1. Ideally yes, but the system will work if they are not.
2. No. Once the node is down they will stop sending requests to it, and gossip is designed to test down nodes to see if they are back up.

Aaron

On 09 Dec, 2010,at 04:54 AM, lei liu <li...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks all,
I have three questions:
1. Must seed list be identical on all nodes ?
2. If one seed node crash, all node will communication with the failure seed node, I think this is harm for all nodes, isn't it?if this yes, how I can replace the failure seed node in all node?

2010/12/8 Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>
"Two seeds per datacenter" is my rule of thumb.

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 3:07 PM, Eric Gilmore <er...@riptano.com> wrote:

What would comprise a sane and reasonably balanced list?  Should there be a certain proportion of seeds per total nodes?  Any other considerations besides a) list must be identical on all nodes and b) you can't auto-bootstrap a seed node?

I'm new to thinking about this setting, but it sounds like this discussion may be approaching some best-practice guidelines.

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 1:01 PM, Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com> wrote:
The gossip-to-seed each round is to prevent cluster partitions, so if you're following correct procedure and making every node's seed list identical, then any potential new nodes gossiping to one of the old seeds means it is still harmless for old nodes not to gossip to the new one until the next restart.

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 2:10 PM, Aaron Morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com> wrote:
Ryan,
I've not checked with the code but the wiki docs for the Gossip Protocol say it makes use of the seed list. http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/ArchitectureGossip

During each gossip round a node will try to gossip to one seed node.

Which made me think keeping the list sane and reasonably balanced was a good idea. Obviously would not matter too much on a small cluster though.

Aaron

On 08 Dec, 2010,at 07:16 AM, Ryan King <ry...@twitter.com> wrote:

Note that there's not really anything special about the seed node and its all relative– the cluster doesn't necessarily have to agreed on who the seeds are.

So, to bring up a new node to replace the old seed, just set the new node's seed to any existing node in the system. After that you can go back and make the setting consistent across the cluster.

-ryan

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 7:01 AM, Nick Bailey <ni...@riptano.com> wrote:
Yes, cassandra only reads the configuration when it starts up. However seed nodes are only used when a node starts. After that they aren't needed. There should be no reason to restart your cluster after adding a seed node to  your cluster.

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 2:09 AM, aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com> wrote:
You will need to restart the nodes for them to pickup changes in cassandra.yaml

Aaron

On 7 Dec 2010, at 16:32, lei liu wrote:

Thanks Nick.

After I add the new node as seed node in the configuration for all of my nodes, do I need to restart all of my nodes?

2010/12/7 Nick Bailey <ni...@riptano.com>
The node can be set as a seed node at any time. It does not need to be a seed node when it joins the cluster. You should remove it as a seed node, set autobootstrap to true and let it join the cluster. Once it has joined the cluster you should add it as a seed node in the configuration for all of your nodes.

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 9:59 AM, lei liu <li...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thank Jonathan for your reply.

How  can I bootstrap the node into cluster, I know if the node is seed node, I can't set AutoBootstrap to true.

2010/12/6 Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>
set it as a seed _after_ bootstrapping it into the cluster.

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra

--