Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Glen Baars <gl...@onsitecomputers.com.au> on 2013/06/16 13:28:46 UTC

Upgrade failure. 2.2.14 to 4.1.0

Hello Cloudstack dev,

Just wanted to share my experiences on upgrading 2.2.14 to 4.1.0 with 6 Xenserver 5.6SP2 hosts.

The documentation doesn't work, so many errors. I ended up restoring after 25 hours back to 2.2.14.

I am willing to edit the docs when I get the upgrade to work.

I would suggest the following changes:

1.
Automatically take a mysqldump prior to the database upgrade.
If it fails, revert to the dump and log.

This would be faster to diag / fix and leave the db in a usable state. I know you should take a db backup first anyway, but this would be cleaner.

2.
The vhd-util download isn't on the upgrade guides.

3.
The upgrade guide for 4.1.0 incorrectly list the repos in the examples and 4.0

4.
The upgrade guide gets cloud and Cloudstack folders wrong all the time

5.
I had an issue with a SR-BACKEND failure that ended up being a corrupt vhd. This was throwing all kinds of errors with the solution. I know this is a Xenserver issue, just might help others with SR-BACKEND failures.

6.
4.0.2 Ubuntu repo install is missing the cloud-setup-encryption binaries.

7.
Can't upgrade from 2.2.14 to 4.0.2 due to a know bug that is listed as solved due to 4.1.0 being released. This doesn't help when you can't get 4.1.0 to work. ( bug is for the database conversion missing 4.02 schema files ). If the upgrades don't work, can we put that on the upgrade guide / release notes?

This brings me to the issue that I am having.

After the upgrade, I can't deploy any VDI's into the SR's. The secondary storage is not getting mounted on the xenservers.

The errors creating the secondary storage VM is below.

http://pastebin.com/H4jZutuP

Any ideas? I put the vhd-util in the correct location and set the permissions.

Just to confirm my upgrade steps

1. Upgrade my single Ubuntu 12.04LTS management server from 2.2.14 to 4.1.0 2. rolling pool upgrade to Xenserver 5.6SP2 to 6.1 3. run the script to reboot all virtual routers and system vm's

I got to step three and no routers came back up :( due the to secondary storage / SR issues.

I have been looking for a way to contribute, maybe I can do Xenserver upgrade testing. I am setting up a test lab for this issue currently.

Regards,

Glen Baars

Re: Upgrade failure. 2.2.14 to 4.1.0

Posted by Jessica Tomechak <je...@gmail.com>.
Glen,
Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm sorry it has been frustrating.

When you encounter documentation errors, please do feel free to file this
as a bug. In this case, I have added your comments to a very similar bug
that was filed recently, as I have a feeling all the upgrade instruction
errors could be fixed at one time.

Jessica T.

Posted by Wei ZHOU <us...@gmail.com>.