Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> on 2007/06/21 04:39:10 UTC

Re: SUN PROPRIETARY/CONFIDENTIAL code in myfaces

No doubt I''m just stupid...
The new improved xsd still says:

No part of this document
       may be reproduced in any form by any means without prior
       written authorization of Sun and its licensors, if any.

Am I supposed to be able to figure out that the license _is_ such
prior written authorization?

As for other similar cases, I'm not aware of other schemas or dtds
from sun that have the explicit "PROPRIETARY CONFIDENTIAL" at the
top, but all (or almost all) the other ones I've seen have the
language I just quoted and (definitely) no license header.  So,
assuming the current versions are actually OK to put in public svn,
it would be great to get copies of all the java ee 5, j2ee 1.4, j2ee
1.3, and j2ee 1.2 schemas and dtds with similar license headers.
Previously (IIUC due to some complaints from others at Sun) the
geronimo project  has spent quite a bit of effort removing all these
schemas and dtds from public svn.  We'd love to be able to put them
back.

Geronimo would like at least:

application-client_5.xsd
application_5.xsd
ejb-jar_3_0.xsd
handler-chain.xsd
javaee_5.xsd
javaee_web_services_1_2.xsd
javaee_web_services_client_1_2.xsd
jsp_2_1.xsd
persistence_1_0.xsd
web-app_2_5.xsd
web-facesconfig_1_2.xsd  (already done)
web-jsptaglibrary_2_1.xsd

application-client_1_4.xsd
application_1_4.xsd
connector_1_5.xsd
ejb-jar_2_1.xsd
j2ee_1_4.xsd
j2ee_jaxrpc_mapping_1_1.xsd
j2ee_web_services_1_1.xsd
j2ee_web_services_client_1_1.xsd
jsp_2_0.xsd
web-app_2_4.xsd
web-jsptaglibrary_2_0.xsd

Although the portlet-app_1_0.xsd  (http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/portlet/
portlet-app_1_0.xsd) doesn't have any restrictive language, it also
doesn't have any indication at all of its license in the xsd
itself.   A license header would be a welcome improvement IMO.

many thanks,
david jencks

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
Craig,

The Geronimo list pretty much covers our needs too.  It would be nice
to have the ejb-jar 2.0 DTD as well, but not critical.

-David

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
On 7/4/07, Karan Malhi <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Personally, I was hoping in future if it could be a possibility to
> have the ability to plugin a JDO implementation like JPOX for the CMP
> piece. If this is something which could be considered, then inclusion
> of the JDO DTDs and schemas in the list would be nice to have. I
> thought I would just ask it upfront in order to avoid asking for it
> later.

I remember someone reported some success with EasyBeans and JPOX as a
JPA provider (they use openjpa by default I guess). I have never
worked with JPOX, but it struck me when I saw it again in the context
of jpa support. It'd be great to be able to plug different jpa
providers (toplink, hibernate, jpox, cayenne) in to openejb/geronimo.
I hope you'll take an active role and I'll certainly follow ;-)

Dain, how easy is it to switch between jpa providers? Where are the
tough points that make the process harder?

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.JacekLaskowski.pl

Re: SUN PROPRIETARY/CONFIDENTIAL code in myfaces

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
Karan,

Craig is the JDO spec lead so I'm sure the JDO DTDs and schemas are
in line.

Also, plugging in JDO should be pretty easy except for EJB-QL
support, which will require either a cross compiler or JPox could
support EJB-QL directly.  Alternatively, a user could just use the
JDO query language instead of EJB-QL.

-dain

Posted by Karan Malhi <ka...@gmail.com>.

--
Karan Singh Malhi

Fwd: SUN PROPRIETARY/CONFIDENTIAL code in myfaces

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Dain,

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Here's the relevant part of the file, that is "prior written
authorization" from Sun:

The contents of this file are subject to the terms of either the GNU
General Public License Version 2 only ("GPL") or the Common Development
and Distribution License("CDDL") (collectively, the "License").  You
may not use this file except in compliance with the License. You can
obtain
a copy of the License at https://glassfish.dev.java.net/public/CDDL
+GPL.html
or glassfish/bootstrap/legal/LICENSE.txt.  See the License for the
specific
language governing permissions and limitations under the License.

I'll ask about the xsds that you list below...

Craig

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.