Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com> on 1995/06/26 08:46:25 UTC

Solaris hangs with 0.6.5?

Not to divert attention from 0.7.3 debugging, but does anyone use Apache on a
heavily loaded solaris 2.4 box?  Heavy load would be 4-5 hits/second
sustained for 15-20 minutes at a time... if so, do you remember what kernal
tweaks had to be done to get the most out of performance?  Some friends of
mine at C|Net are using apache 0.6.5 for their service, and it's running
into problems with hangs - one in every couple of connections will hang
for a long time, meaning pages with lots of inlined images will have some
images missing at times.  I don't have a login so I can't tell for sure,
but it definitely sounds like the TCP layer is at fault - the load
average is very low and only a dozen or so apaches are running at any
given time.  We had a conference call with some Sun support drones who
knew very little about the situation, mumbling something about "well,
Netscape doesn't close connections nicely..."  :)

It might be nice to have a document on "running high performance web
sites using Apache", i.e. how to tune your server and OS for maximum
output.

	Brian