Posted to dev@tika.apache.org by kbennett <kb...@bbsinc.biz> on 2007/09/10 21:55:36 UTC

Rename Interface Office to MSOffice?

Hi -

The Office interface has this Javadoc:

"A collection of "Office" documents properties names."

Does this mean Microsoft Office documents, Open Office documents, or both?

If only MS Office, I suggest renaming it to MSOffice (or similar) to
eliminate any possible confusion.

If it's both, can we add Javadoc explaining that?

Thanks,
Keith

Re: Rename Interface Office to MSOffice?

Posted by kbennett <kb...@bbsinc.biz>.
All -

I've gotten some information about which way to go and have posted a patch
file to Jira issue #18 (http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TIKA-18).

The answer is that it refers to Microsoft Office and the patch renames
Office to MSOffice.

- Keith

Posted by kbennett <kb...@bbsinc.biz>.
Robert -

Since the question needs to be answered in any case, I'd prefer to wait
until that happens.  Creating 1 patch instead of 2 would save time.

It would not make sense for me to make a judgment as to which was the
correct behavior without being sufficiently informed about the matter.  What
do you think I am, a politician? ;) ...kidding...

- Keith

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On 9/13/07, Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/12/07, kbennett <kb...@bbsinc.biz> wrote:
> > I would need to know the answer to my question before knowing what to
> > include in the patch.
>
> include whatever you think the code should be :-)
>
> > If it's only MS, then I would change the interface name; if it's both MS and
> > OO, then I'd add Javadoc.
>
> open a JIRA and include one patch for each alternative

Or decide for yourself which alternative is better and submit a patch
for that change. If you go through the thoughtwork of considering the
alternatives and coming up with a reasoned proposal, then I think you
have a very good case for getting your version committed.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Rename Interface Office to MSOffice?

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by kbennett <kb...@bbsinc.biz>.
Robert -

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.