Posted to dev@airflow.apache.org by "Dubey, Somesh" <so...@nordstrom.com> on 2018/08/24 13:40:04 UTC

airflow 1.9 tasks randomly failing | k8 - hive

We are on AirFlow 1.9 on Kubernetes. We have many hive DAGs which we call via JDBC (via rest end point) and randomly tasks fail. One day one would fail and next day some other.
The pods are all healthy and there is no node eviction/any issues and retries typically works. Also even when the tasks fails it completes on the hive side successfully.
We do not get good logs of the failure and typically get partial sql in sysout in the task log with no error message. Loglevel increased to 5 in jdbc connection.
This only happens in production.

Not been able to reproduce the issue in dev.
The closest we have gotten in dev to replicate similar behavior is to kill the pid (manually killing airflow run --raw) in worker node.
That case also things run fine on hive side but task fails in Airflow.
Similar task log with no error is received.

Have you seen this kind of behavior. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks so much,
Somesh

Re: airflow 1.9 tasks randomly failing | k8 - hive

Posted by Emmanuel Brard <em...@getyourguide.com>.
Hello,

You can see the zombie tasks killing in the scheduler logs (text file), I
think you need the 'INFO' log level though. The detection is based on the
time difference with the last heartbeat in the job table.

Best,

Posted by Emmanuel Brard <em...@getyourguide.com>.
Hey,