Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Olivier Austina <ol...@gmail.com> on 2014/05/11 18:55:31 UTC

Website running Solr

Hi All,
Is there a way to know if a website use Solr? Thanks.
Regards
Olivier

Re: Website running Solr

Posted by Gora Mohanty <go...@mimirtech.com>.
On 11 May 2014 23:39, Ahmet Arslan <io...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Some site owners put themselves here :
>
> https://wiki.apache.org/solr/PublicServers

Thanks for the reminder: I need to add some sites there.
If you got it, flaunt it :-)

> Besides, I would try *:* match all docs query.

Won't work. Many front-ends, such as the excellent Haystack for
Django, will not expose raw Solr queries by default.

Regards,
Gora

Re: Website running Solr

Re: Website running Solr

Posted by Michael Sokolov <ms...@safaribooksonline.com>.
On 5/11/2014 12:55 PM, Olivier Austina wrote:
> Hi All,
> Is there a way to know if a website use Solr? Thanks.
> Regards
> Olivier

Ask the people who run the site?

Re: Website running Solr

Posted by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org>.
On 5/11/2014 10:55 AM, Olivier Austina wrote:
> Is there a way to know if a website use Solr? Thanks.

Paul's answer is correct.  There is usually no way to know for sure,
unless you ask the website operators.  Secure implementations will not
expose Solr to the outside world.

If you see evidence that faceted search is happening, there is a
reasonable chance that it's Solr ... but even then you cannot be sure,
because other search products have facets too.  A strong example of
faceted search is the "narrow your choices" options in the left column
on Newegg.  I believe they are using Solr, but I do not know that for sure.

http://www.newegg.com/All-Desktop-Hard-Drives/SubCategory/ID-14

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: Website running Solr

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@hoplahup.net>.
Not with certainty as solr may be working far behind another set of tools that make queries (and nothing licensing prevents it).
If you get a software that has maybe Solr inside, I think the credits section should include a mention of some sort.
However, there may be hints if a website uses solr, and that would be by following http queries (e.g. with the web-inspector) and finding commonalities with the standard solr params (see here http://wiki.apache.org/solr/CommonQueryParameters).

paul