Posted to dev@trafficserver.apache.org by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org> on 2010/02/02 16:37:35 UTC

[vote] API include files

Hi,

we started this discussion a long time ago, but I'd like to propose a
name change for the two include files. Please comment / vote on these
four suggestions:

   1. During installation, we'll place the two include files in
      ${prefix}/include/ts
   2. The RemapAPI.h file gets renamed to remap_api.h
   3. The InkAPI.h file gets renamed to just api.h
   4. In the source tree, we move remap_api.h to proxy/api/include
      (which is where InkAPI.h / api.h is).

I'd like to get this done for the 2.0.0a release, so please comment (and
vote). I know this breaks "internal" plugin builds for Yahoo, but we can
easily work around that if necessary (just make symlinks in our internal
package file).

The changes above also means we need to modify documentation, and
examples, of course (i.e. #include <ts/api.h> ). Any future/additional
"dev" include files should obviously also go into ${prefix}/include/ts/ .

Thanks,

-- Leif

Re: [vote] API include files

Posted by Bryan Call <bc...@yahoo-inc.com>.
We should standardize on a naming convention for traffic server
directories.  Right now we are using "trafficserver".  This has less
possibility of conflicts then "ts".

I vote to put the include files into ${prefix}/include/trafficserver

-Bryan

Re: [vote] API include files

Posted by George Paul <ge...@apache.org>.
+1 for 1,2 & 4.
+1 for 3 if all includes use <ts/api.h> since 'api.h' is really generic
as pointed out. Another possibility is 'sdkapi.h' since it is the TS SDK
API.

-George

Re: [vote] API include files

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.
On 02/02/2010 03:42 PM, Tin Zaw wrote:
> +1 to #1, #2 and #4.
>
> For #3, why not call it ts_api.h. api.h is too generic and ts_api would be consistent with remap_api.

I was thinking about that too, but all references would be as

     #include <ts/api.h>

or possibly

     #include <trafficserver/api.h>

As for <ts/> vs <trafficserver/>, it seems like an awful long name in
the include. It seems most include dirs are much shorter than that.  :)
But, lets have this first discussion go for a bit more, and I'll send
out a second [vote] request to resolve these two issues at least.

Thanks for the feedback!

-- Leif

Re: [vote] API include files

Posted by Tin Zaw <tz...@yahoo.com>.
+1 to #1, #2 and #4.

For #3, why not call it ts_api.h. api.h is too generic and ts_api would be consistent with remap_api.

Thanks.

________________________________

Re: [vote] API include files

Posted by Paul Querna <pa...@querna.org>.
On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 7:37 AM, Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we started this discussion a long time ago, but I'd like to propose a name
> change for the two include files. Please comment / vote on these four
> suggestions:
>
>  1. During installation, we'll place the two include files in
>     ${prefix}/include/ts

+1

>  2. The RemapAPI.h file gets renamed to remap_api.h
>  3. The InkAPI.h file gets renamed to just api.h

+0.9,  I think these make sense, though "api.h" is.. common.  As long
as all references to it both internal and external are as ts/api.h I
think its fine.