Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by Russell Bateman <ru...@windofkeltia.com> on 2019/04/17 14:48:42 UTC

Latest NiFi customs?

After a couple of years absence from NiFi (prior to Java 9), I find
myself just now back in a developer role in a company that uses NiFi.
(This is a pleasant thought, I might add, as I believe that NiFi rocks.)
I have inherited an existing implementation that's sorely aged and,
though I've googled mostly in vain on what I'm asking, would like to dot
the /i/s and cross the /t/s.

*What version of NiFi?*
How far forward (toward) NiFi 1.9 should I push my company? I see that
the Docker container is at 1.8 if that's any reference. I'm tempted
right now to move to 1.8 immediately.

*What about Java?*
What is the state of Java in NiFi? It appears that it's still back on
Java 8? I develop using IntelliJ IDEA. While I constrain the level of
language features to 1.8, it isn't realistic to contemplate developing
in IDEA without a pretty modern JDK version (I use Java 11 today because
LTS). I assume, nevertheless, that if I'm careful not to permit--by
setting in IDEA--the use of language constructs in my custom processors
to exceed 1.8, I should be okay, right? Or, am I missing something and
there are other considerations to watch out for?

Thanks for any and all comments, setting me straight, etc.

Re: [EXT] Latest NiFi customs?

Posted by Andy LoPresto <al...@apache.org>.
There is substantial work being lead by Jeff Storck to migrate NiFi to Java 11. You can see discussions about that on the mailing list [1] and in one of the PRs [2].

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/8af1752087480ac83bc01ea89d616316a125848b334624a3e2fce4d3@%3Cdev.nifi.apache.org%3E <https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/8af1752087480ac83bc01ea89d616316a125848b334624a3e2fce4d3@%3Cdev.nifi.apache.org%3E>
[2] https://github.com/apache/nifi/pull/3404 <https://github.com/apache/nifi/pull/3404>

Andy LoPresto
alopresto@apache.org
alopresto.apache@gmail.com