Posted to dev@esme.apache.org by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com> on 2010/01/24 16:07:30 UTC

professionalism

For those of you who don't quite know me, I am one of
the ASF's contracted sysadmins.  I'm writing this note
to tell you that I'm sorry for letting my emotions get
the better of me this week with regards to the recent vote.
I should've maintained a bit more composure when dealing
with Robert's veto, but Robert and I have a bit of a history
when it comes to ASF policy and its enforceability.

I also regret that the best outcome here, which would be
to move David's copyright notices to the NOTICE file, was
not supported by the org.  Sometimes that happens with
Apache, that the best outcome cannot be achieved, because
volunteer armies are frisky and generally risk-averse.
It is times like these when comments about a circus-like
atmosphere ring true to me, but fortunately they are relatively
rare at Apache.  It is a large and diverse organization
and people want what's best for it, even if they're coming
at the problems we face from different perspectives (and
histories).

I am happy to see that people remained in contact with David,
and have worked to achieve the best outcome.  They are to
be commended for that effort, and I'd like to thank David for
being agreeable and allowing this project to remain in full
compliance with Apache policy.

As for my interest in esme, I will remain available on the list
for a while to assist where I can, but for the most part will
try to remain quiet.  It's now up to the mentors and committers
to continue to steer the ship in a positive direction.

Best of luck going forward.

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: professionalism

Posted by Anne Kathrine Petterøe <yo...@gmail.com>.
Joe,

Thank you. Personally I don't think there is any need for you to apologize. The discussion you had with Robert helped push things forward and was necessary and appropriate in my opinion. Especially seeing that Robert created the Jira legal tasks makes me believe that we didn't go through this for no reason.

I think all of us on the team has learned a lot during the last weeks as well. I am pretty sure there aren't many other incubator projects who know so much about how the ASF works from the inside, which I believe can only help ESME in the future. On a personal level I have actually enjoyed the conversations/discussions and suddenly found law and ASF policies surprisingly fun.

I am pretty sure this will only make us stronger. And judging from the activity on the list today, I am confident we will soon get our first release out the door.

Thanks,
Anne