Posted to ivy-user@ant.apache.org by Phillip Rhodes <Ph...@redwood.com> on 2010/07/27 17:46:26 UTC

Any advice / documention on how to use branches in Ivy?

I see that the <info> and <dependency> elements have a "branch"
attribute, and I can see that it sorta-kinda

works the way I would naively expect... if I publish an artifact with
branch set to "foo" and then try to resolve

with a dependency of the same name, but with the branch set to "bar"
then it doesn't match and the resolve

fails.  So far, so good.  But my real question is how to best take
advantage of this?

If I just change the branch and publish, winding up with different
revisions with different branches commingle together, things

don't seem to work so smoothly.  Is the idea that we are to make
"branch" part of the repository pattern, so that

artifacts are segregated on a per branch basis? Or something else?

Any and all advice or pointers to documentation are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Phil

RE: Any advice / documention on how to use branches in Ivy?

Posted by James Davis <ja...@atsid.com>.
If you have different versions for each build, then you wouldn't have a problem with artifact collisions.  However, it would be difficult to tell which version of the artifact came from which branch.  A resolve on an ivy.xml with a dependency on  a specific branch would not be locked down to just that branch, and could bring in versions that were not published on that branch (at least this is my understanding of how ivy works due to how the patterns work).

James Davis * QA Engineer II/Software Engineer
Applied Technical Systems, Inc. * Information Engineering
Posted by Eric Anderson <ea...@palantir.com>.
eanderson@palantir.com | 520.440.3773

Posted by Eric Anderson <ea...@palantir.com>.