Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Barry Scott <ba...@onelan.co.uk> on 2009/09/29 14:18:26 UTC

mod_fcgid - cannot get authorizer process to be started

The mod_fcgid page says to ask on dev I assume that this is the right
place to ask.

I'm using mod_fcgid from svn with HTTPD 2.2.

I want to use a fast CGI authorizer to allow me to control access based
on my rules.
The authorizer needs to be a long running process - never exits.

I know that the fcgid code is noticing the directive because I can
change the filename
and see the error message from the sources.

But I'm at a lose as to the required to get this configuration to
actually call my code.
mod_fcgid is not starting up the authorizer process.

I have the following fcgid specific lines in my httpd.conf file:

---- httpd.conf ----
LoadModule fcgid_module modules/mod_fcgid.so

Listen *:9000
<VirtualHost *:9000>
   <Location />
       Order allow,deny
       Allow from all
       AuthType Digest
       AuthName "Manager System"
       Require valid-user
       AuthGroupFile /home/bscott/Work/httpd-fcgid-test/auth/http.group
       AuthUserFile /home/bscott/Work/httpd-fcgid-test/auth/http.passwd

       FastCgiAuthorizer
/home/bscott/wc/svn/NTB-Next/onelan/DSM/Sources/WebUserInterface/bin/Authorizer

   </Location>

   <Location /player>
         #+ HTTP auth file
       Order allow,deny
       Allow from all
       AuthType Digest
       AuthName "Manager System"
       Require valid-user
       AuthGroupFile /home/bscott/Work/httpd-fcgid-test/auth/http.group
       AuthUserFile /home/bscott/Work/httpd-fcgid-test/auth/http.passwd
       #- HTTP auth file
       #FCGID

   </Location>
</VirtualHost>

Re: mod_fcgid - cannot get authorizer process to be started

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 12:11 PM, Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 11:37 AM, Barry Scott <ba...@onelan.co.uk>wrote:
>
>> At this point let me ask this:
>>
>> Is it possible with the current code to ever have the fcgid Authorizer
>> called?
>>

> yes
>
> This works for me, though it uses the unfortunate valid-group hack with
> httpd 2.2 so that no authorizers running before fcgid think they should
> evaluate:
>
> <Location /docs>
>   <IfVersion >= 2.2>
>   AuthBasicAuthoritative Off
> # AuthBasicProvider foo
>   </IfVersion>
>
>   # work around problem with AAA in mod_fcgid (it can't track more than
>   # one AAA script per URL, and even then the URL can't be handled by a
>   # FastCGI app)
>   #
>   # FastCgiAccessChecker %%MYHG%%/apache/fastcgi/apps/access_check.pl
>   # FastCgiAuthenticator %%MYHG%%/apache/fastcgi/apps/authenticate.pl
>   # FastCgiAuthorizer    %%MYHG%%/apache/fastcgi/apps/authorize.pl
>
>   FastCgiAccessChecker %%MYHG%%/apache/fcgid/apps/aaa.pl
>   FastCgiAuthenticator %%MYHG%%/apache/fcgid/apps/aaa.pl
>   FastCgiAuthorizer    %%MYHG%%/apache/fcgid/apps/aaa.pl
>
>   FastCgiAccessCheckerAuthoritative On
>   FastCgiAuthenticatorAuthoritative On
>   FastCgiAuthorizerAuthoritative    On
>
>   AuthType Basic
>   AuthName "foo"
>
>   <IfVersion < 2.3>
>
>   <IfVersion < 2.2>
>     Require group foo
>   </IfVersion>
>
>   <IfVersion >= 2.2>
>     Require valid-group
>   </IfVersion>
>
>     Order allow,deny
>     Allow from all
>   </IfVersion>
>
>   <IfVersion >= 2.3>
>     Require group foo
>   </IfVersion>
>
> </Location>
>

>> If it is not possible I'm willing to try and code the missing pieces, with
>> a little
>> help being pointed in the right direction.
>>

> I hope some "require" experts could jump in ;)
>
> A good solution might be to associate a script with a particular
> require-ment so that mod_fcgid can check the Require for any require-ments
> implemented by a FastCGI script.
>
> [too] simple example:
>
> FCGIDRequire mydb-user /path/to/my/authorizer.sh
>
> <Location /foo>
>   Require mydb-user
>   SetEnv whatever-needed-by-authorizer.sh
> </Location>

BTW, authentication is another area where mod_fcgid could better fit in with
httpd (in this case, 2.2+).  Bundled authn module implement a "provider,"
and the admin can specify which provider(s) handles authn.  That's better
than just calling all the authn hooks in a somewhat mysterious order and
having them look at other config to decide if they should try to
authenticate.  It would be nice to configure a FastCGI authenticator as a
provider, and then specify that the provider should be used within a
particular container.

Re: mod_fcgid - cannot get authorizer process to be started

Posted by Barry Scott <ba...@onelan.co.uk>.
Jeff Trawick wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 11:37 AM, Barry Scott
> <barry.scott@onelan.co.uk <ma...@onelan.co.uk>> wrote:
>
>     At this point let me ask this:
>
>     Is it possible with the current code to ever have the fcgid
>     Authorizer called?
>

> yes

thanks for the confirmation and the example.

I now have my Authorizer code and have the authentication happening.

Listen *:9000
<VirtualHost *:9000>
    <Location />
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
        AuthType Digest
        AuthName "Manager System"
        AuthUserFile /home/bscott/Work/httpd-fcgid-test/auth/http.passwd

        Require onelan magic
        FastCgiAuthorizer
/home/bscott/wc/svn/NTB-Next/onelan/DSM/Sources/WebUserInterface/bin/Authorizer.sh
    </Location>
</VirtualHost>

What I have learned about the code is this:

* If any Require directive is present a 401 is returned if no
credentials are sent
* If any Require directive is present and credentials are present they
are checked and the username is set in r.
* If any Require directive is present and its not processed by any other
authorizer the FastCgiAuthorizer is run

It would be nice to reserve a Require entity name for use by fast CGI.
The code as written today does not care if a Require entity name is
processed by any module.
Use of valid-group that sound officialbut is simply a Require entity
name that no module supports.

Barry

Re: mod_fcgid - cannot get authorizer process to be started

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 12:51 PM, Barry Scott <ba...@onelan.co.uk>wrote:

> Barry Scott wrote:
>
>> Jeff Trawick wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 11:26 AM, Barry Scott <barry.scott@onelan.co.uk<mailto:
>>> barry.scott@onelan.co.uk>> wrote:
>>>
>>>    Jeff Trawick wrote:
>>>
>>>        On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 8:18 AM, Barry Scott
>>>        <barry.scott@onelan.co.uk <ma...@onelan.co.uk>
>>>        <mailto:barry.scott@onelan.co.uk
>>>        <ma...@onelan.co.uk>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>           The mod_fcgid page says to ask on dev I assume that this is the
>>>           right place to ask.
>>>
>>>           I'm using mod_fcgid from svn with HTTPD 2.2.
>>>
>>>           I want to use a fast CGI authorizer to allow me to control
>>>        access
>>>           based on my rules.
>>>           The authorizer needs to be a long running process - never
>>>        exits.
>>>
>>>           I know that the fcgid code is noticing the directive
>>>        because I can
>>>           change the filename
>>>           and see the error message from the sources.
>>>
>>>           But I'm at a lose as to the required to get this
>>>        configuration to
>>>           actually call my code.
>>>           mod_fcgid is not starting up the authorizer process.
>>>
>>>           I have the following fcgid specific lines in my httpd.conf
>>>        file:
>>>
>>>           ---- httpd.conf ----
>>>           LoadModule fcgid_module modules/mod_fcgid.so
>>>
>>>           Listen *:9000
>>>           <VirtualHost *:9000>
>>>            <Location />
>>>                Order allow,deny
>>>                Allow from all
>>>                AuthType Digest
>>>

>>>        Did you really mean Digest authentication instead of Basic
>>>        authentication?
>>>
>>>        mod_fcgid only supports Basic, AFAICT.
>>>
>>>           /* Get the user password */
>>>           if ((res = ap_get_basic_auth_pw(r, &password)) != OK)
>>>               return res;
>>>

>>>    I don't want to be an authenticator, I want to be a authorizer.
>>>    Authorizer has no need of passwords right.
>>>

>>> whoops :(
>>>
>>> yes
>>>
>>> your "require valid-user" implies that you don't need authorization; try
>>> "require valid-group" instead
>>>

>> I want the users password checked and to only proceed if it is valid.
>> I also want to run the fcgi Authorizer to check that the URL being
>> access is allowed according to the logic in my Authorizer code.

"require valid-user" means that all it takes to access this resource is a
properly authenticated user.

If mod_authz_user sees "valid-user" during the authorization stage, it
returns OK and mod_fcgid' authorization hook is not called.  You want to
take it further and also run the authorizer, since a properly authenticated
user is not good enough.  So "require valid-user" or "require user xxx" or
other checks that can be made since the user is already known can't be used.

"require valid-group" is a hack to bypass checks that the AAA modules know
how to make (require user foo, require group bar, require ldap-group ...,
etc.).  There's no provision to allow a FastCGI authorizer app to implement
a particular authorization require-ment. "require group foo" can also get
you to your authorizer (subject to what the group file module would do).  I
haven't checked if that required group name is available to your authorize.

>> To that end I have the following:
>>
>>   <Location />
>>       Order allow,deny
>>       Allow from all
>>
>>       # Use digest auth to check the username/password pair
>>       AuthType Digest
>>       AuthName "Manager System"
>>       # no one gets in without a valid username/password pair
>>       Require valid-user

mod_authz_user always returns OK from authorization hook with this require

>>       # Use these files to find the passwd and group information
>>       AuthGroupFile /home/bscott/Work/httpd-fcgid-test/auth/http.group

not needed and maybe harmful depending on your require directive

>       AuthUserFile /home/bscott/Work/httpd-fcgid-test/auth/http.passwd
>>
>>       # Run the Authorizer.sh to veto URL based on the username
>>       FastCgiAuthorizer
>> /home/bscott/wc/svn/NTB-Next/onelan/DSM/Sources/WebUserInterface/bin/Authorizer.sh
>>
>>   </Location>
>>
>> What triggers HTTPD to call the Authorizer.sh code?
>> Surely not the commands that control authentication checks?

yes, the require directive; furthermore, if authorization hooks called
before mod_fcgid's think they have answered the question authoritatively,
mod_fcgid won't be called

>> I cannot find Require valid-group defined in the 2.2 docs.
>>
>> Do you mean I need to add:
>>
>>             Require group nosuchgroup
>>

> This does not work...

because mod_authz_groupfile sees your AuthGroupFile and tries to answer
based on its contents (as well as whether or not that check is authoritative
(see
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_authz_groupfile.html#authzgroupfileauthoritative))?

>> And that will cause the mod_authn_user (or what ever module) to try
>> and match nosuchgroup. When it fails my Authenicator will be run
>> to see if it can handle that directive?
>>
>> Isn't this module crying out for a directive like:
>>
>>           Require fcgid-authenticater-user-is-valid

I think so, but something appropriate for authorization, since the
mod_fcgid-driven authorization app shouldn't care how the user was
authenticated.

Re: mod_fcgid - cannot get authorizer process to be started

Posted by Barry Scott <ba...@onelan.co.uk>.
Barry Scott wrote:
> [...]
>        Order allow,deny
>        Allow from all
>
>        # Use digest auth to check the username/password pair
>        AuthType Digest
>        AuthName "Manager System"
>        # no one gets in without a valid username/password pair
>        Require valid-user
>
>        # Use these files to find the passwd and group information
>        AuthGroupFile /home/bscott/Work/httpd-fcgid-test/auth/http.group
>        AuthUserFile /home/bscott/Work/httpd-fcgid-test/auth/http.passwd
>
>        # Run the Authorizer.sh to veto URL based on the username
>        FastCgiAuthorizer
> /home/bscott/wc/svn/NTB-Next/onelan/DSM/Sources/WebUserInterface/bin/Authorizer.sh
>
>    </Location>
>
> What triggers HTTPD to call the Authorizer.sh code?
> Surely not the commands that control authentication checks?
>
> I cannot find Require valid-group defined in the 2.2 docs.

This does not work...

> And that will cause the mod_authn_user (or what ever module) to try
> and match nosuchgroup. When it fails my Authenicator will be run
> to see if it can handle that directive?
>
> Isn't this module crying out for a directive like:
>
>            Require fcgid-authenticater-user-is-valid
>
> Barry

Barry

Re: mod_fcgid - cannot get authorizer process to be started

Posted by Barry Scott <ba...@onelan.co.uk>.

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Barry Scott <ba...@onelan.co.uk>.

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.