Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by jeremyasmith <je...@yahoo.com> on 2014/01/12 17:53:09 UTC

Windows and Linux Perl Client

I need some advice, we are currently upgrading our broker from 0.12 to 0.22
or later.

We are heavy Perl users both in Linux and Windows, for 0.12 we developed our
own client using the c libraries, this has worked fine but has proved
difficult to maintain and the maintainer who was much smarter than me has
moved on :-)

So for the new broker we would like to use the Perl bindings from the Qpid
installation, I have managed to build them on Linux and would next want to
build them on Windows, but I suspect this may not be easy due to the need
for Perl development libraries??? I may be incorrect but if anyone has
experience of building the Perl client on Windows I would be very grateful.

Jeremy

Re: Windows and Linux Perl Client

Posted by Cliff Jansen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jeremy,

I don't have exact experience to help you but your plan seems doable.
The SWIG documentation for Perl on Windows doesn't list any obvious
limitations that look like they will get in your way.  I'm pretty sure
any lack of development libs would have been noted there.

In your shoes, I would look for a stable Windows version of perl that
is as close to your Linux version as possible (to start, you can try
later releases another time).  Make sure that your qpid and perl libs
match in bit-ness (all 32 or all 64 bit).

You may have to teach CMake where to find your perl installation.
There is also a high likelihood that the swig wrapper will need some
TLC.  With luck, it will boil down to just appeasing quirks of the
Microsoft compiler with some casts here and there.  If you find that
memory management is the source of wrapper compiler errors, you will
need to proceed with more caution, but the docs should help you figure
out what the swig layer is trying to do when crossing the boundary.

If you run into problems, post back here.  If you get it working, a
JIRA and associated patch would be most welcome.

Cliff

Posted by jeremyasmith <je...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

Have not had much time to work on this :-( but have managed to get qpid
built ok on windows 7 32 bit, but now I am trying to build client bindings,
specificaly perl and I am getting the following returned from cmake:

-- Legacystore is excluded from build.
C:/Python27/python.exe: can't open file 'setup.py': [Errno 2] No such file
or di
rectory
-- Found SWIG: C:/Program Files/swigwin-2.0.11/swig.exe (found version
"2.0.11")

-- Could NOT find Ruby (missing:  RUBY_LIBRARY) (found version "1.9.1")
-- Found PythonLibs: C:/Python27/libs/python27.lib (found version "2.7.6")
-- Found Perl: C:/Perl/bin/perl.exe (found version "5.18.1")
-- Could NOT find PerlLibs (missing:  PERL_LIBRARY) (found version "5.18.1")
Building Python bindings
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: C:/qpidc-0.22/bld

Any suggestion much appreciated

Posted by "Darryl L. Pierce" <dp...@redhat.com>.
On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 04:07:04PM -0500, Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 11:34:45AM -0800, Jeremy Smith wrote:
> > Hi, started to try to build them today, but have been distracted by another non related issue.
> >
> > I am using Windows 7 64, but am trying to build 32 bit as we have a number of xp clients that need the Perl modules.
> >
> > Experiences so far:
> >
> > I had hoped to use VS express 2010, seems like that is not recommended, I have issues with some of the 2010 redist dll's which cant be found even though I have installed them, have not investigated yet.
>
> I see the 2012 version is available as well. Any reason for me to not
> use that?

Someone in IRC recommended using the 2010 release, so I'll install that.

> > But very happy if you (or anyone else) wants to help/advise me.
>
> I have a Windows 7 Enterprise 32-bit environment that I can use for
> development work. Hopefully with that I can get a similar build
> environment to what you have.
>
> > Will join irc tomorrow
>
> Excellent! :D

Delivering value year after year.
http://www.redhat.com/promo/vendor/

Re: Windows and Linux Perl Client

Posted by "Darryl L. Pierce" <dp...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Jeremy Smith <je...@yahoo.com>.
Hi, started to try to build them today, but have been distracted by another non related issue.

I am using Windows 7 64, but am trying to build 32 bit as we have a number of xp clients that need the Perl modules.

Experiences so far:

I had hoped to use VS express 2010, seems like that is not recommended, I have issues with some of the 2010 redist dll's which cant be found even though I have installed them, have not investigated yet.

But very happy if you (or anyone else) wants to help/advise me.

Will join irc tomorrow

Thanks
Jeremy

On Monday, 13 January 2014, 15:58, Darryl L. Pierce <dp...@redhat.com> wrote:

On Sun, Jan 12, 2014 at 08:53:09AM -0800, jeremyasmith wrote:

> I need some advice, we are currently upgrading our broker from 0.12 to 0.22
> or later.
>
> We are heavy Perl users both in Linux and Windows, for 0.12 we developed our
> own client using the c libraries, this has worked fine but has proved
> difficult to maintain and the maintainer who was much smarter than me has
> moved on :-)
>
> So for the new broker we would like to use the Perl bindings from the Qpid
> installation, I have managed to build them on Linux and would next want to
> build them on Windows, but I suspect this may not be easy due to the need
> for Perl development libraries??? I may be incorrect but if anyone has
> experience of building the Perl client on Windows I would be very grateful.

Hi, Jeremy! I haven't to date, but would be happy to work with you to
get the Perl bindings building on Windows. Do you use the IRC channel,
by any chance? If so, you can ping me (my nick is mcpierce) on Freenode
in the #qpid channel.

Have you done anything yet to try to build the bindings on Windows?

Posted by "Darryl L. Pierce" <dp...@redhat.com>.