Posted to httpclient-users@hc.apache.org by Roland Weber <ht...@dubioso.net> on 2006/08/04 00:53:43 UTC

Re: applet needing https access to a servlet that requires aclientcertificate

Ramon Wang wrote:
> Hi,Oleg do you mean that HttpClient can not deal with SSL,

No he doesn't. A simple look at our website should have
told you that HttpClient supports SSL:
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/sslguide.html

> it's just designed for normal http connection that use Socket?

HttpClient implements HTTP on top of sockets. That's plain
sockets, or SSL sockets, but sockets:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/net/Socket.html

HttpsURLConnection is not a socket, it is a connection that
implements HTTP itself and provides communication on top of
HTTP. We can't implement HTTP on top of HTTP. That means we
can't use the builtin features of HttpsURLConnection or
HttpURLConnection, whether that is a browser's certificate
management as in this case, or NTLM with Windows credentials,
which is more often requested.

In order to use HttpClient, you have to be able to establish
a socket connection to the server or proxy. Plain or SSL,
with or without client authentication. Once you've got the
socket, HttpClient can talk HTTP over it.

cheers,
  Roland